David Donnell joined Adams and Reese in 2006 and is a member of the firm’s health care team. He focuses his practice on the federal health reform acts, health care fraud and abuse, and Medicare / Medicaid regulations. Besides assisting in the development, education and staffing of emerging issues in health care for clients, David also is called on to assist in the development of health care legislation and policy at the state level.
Before his legal career, David directed the operations of hospital based multi-specialty clinics in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama for both national for-profit and not-for-profit health systems. He regularly works with hospitals, physician groups, imaging and surgery centers and a variety of other organizations.
His other significant contributions include:
- Serving as lead counsel to the Louisiana Department of Insurance for development of rate review and utilization and appeal legislation.
- Counsel to the Mississippi Insurance Department in the establishment of the authority, financing and development of the Mississippi Health Insurance Exchange.
- Successfully restructuring multi-faceted health systems' partnerships following the implementation of sweeping changes in the Stark law and CMS payment regulations.
- Advising health care institutions and practitioners in the areas of development, licensure and certification, contracting and compliance.
- Regular representation of clients in health care-related litigation and disputes.
David holds an MBA and is the recipient of the Mississippi Bar Association Litigation Award.
He is an outdoor enthusiast and enjoys fishing, skiing, hiking, hunting and other seasonal activities.
- The Auditor Will See You Now, Memphis Medical Society Quarterly - Summer 2009
- Legal Perspective, Mississippi Medical News - December 2006, February 2007, March 2007, April 2007, May 2007, June 2007, July 2007, September 2007, November 2007, co-author
Click for headshot