H. Lee Moffitt is a former Speaker of the Florida House of Representatives and joined Adams and Reese in 2012. He is the founder and namesake of the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer & Research Institute, the only cancer center in Florida to be recognized as a National Cancer Institute Designated Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Practicing law since 1968, Lee practices in governmental relations and legislative law, and is a member of the firm’s Special Business Services Practice Group.
Lee served in the Florida Legislature for 10 years, including terms as Speaker of the House (1982-1984), Chair of the Commerce Committee (1978-1980), and Chair of the House Reapportionment Committee (1980-1982).
His experience and significant contributions include:
- Considered one of Florida’s most successful and influential lobbyists with keen insight into the complex relationships between local, state and federal governments.
- Held several board positions since founding the H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute, currently serving on the Board of Directors since 1984.
- Presented with the distinguished National Achievement Award in 2007 by the Association of Community Cancer Centers for his work in the fight against cancer.
- Recipient of numerous awards and distinctions for his public and community service including the Allen Morris Award for the Most Effective Member of the Florida House of Representatives (1976 and 1982).
- Actively serves on boards and committees in the public and private service sectors including the Florida I-4 High Tech Corridor Council.
- Previously served on Comptrollers Task Force on Regulatory Decoupling, Committee of 100 Tampa Chapter, Taxation and Budget Reform Commission, Speakers Committee on Florida's Future, and the Worldwide Unitary Tax Commission.
Throughout Lee’s distinguished career, he has received numerous honors and distinctions. Highlights include:
- Ranked in Best Lawyers® - Construction Litigation
- LeRoy Collins Lifetime Achievement Award, Leadership Florida
- Distinguished Service to Florida Award, Tampa Bay Rotary
- Association of Community Cancer Centers National Achievement Award
- Distinguished Floridian Award, Hillsborough County Commission
- Conservation Legislator of the Year, National Wildlife Federation
- President’s Distinguished Community Service Award, Tampa Chamber of Commerce
- NAACP President’s Award
- “Legislative Award” – Black Caucus of Florida
Lee is a member of the Florida Bar, the United States Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Among the people Lee admires is R. Lee Clark, founder of M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Texas. “Dr. Clark was a visionary who mentored me during the creation and early years of the Moffitt Cancer Center.”
In his spare time, Lee enjoys spending time with his family, playing golf, traveling and reading historical novels.