Jack Pringle joined Adams and Reese in 2013 as a Partner following the firm’s expansion into Columbia.
Practicing law since 1996, Jack focuses on privacy, information security, and information governance; administrative and regulatory law; public utilities; securities; environmental law and land use litigation; and class action litigation. He is recognized by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a Certified Circuit Court Mediator.
Jack helps businesses protect, manage, and communicate information lawfully and effectively, and has received the Information Privacy Professional (CIPP-US) designation from the International Association of Privacy Professionals (“IAPP”).
He has litigated matters related to tax cases, securities investigations, certificate of need applications, procurement matters, environmental permitting cases, disadvantaged business enterprise applications and alcohol licensing applications. Jack has represented public utilities and transportation companies before the South Carolina Public Service Commission, and in other litigation and regulatory matters.
Jack’s representative experience includes:
Privacy, Information Security, and Information Governance
Policies and Processes
- Privacy and Security: draft and review policies and notices; perform and assist audits, gap analyses and assessments of current practices;
- Information Technology: draft and review email, device (BYOD), internet usage, acceptable use, social media, and other policies;
- Vendor Contracts and Arrangements: draft and review for the protection of sensitive information;
- Data Retention and Destruction Policies, including Litigation Holds: draft and review policies and procedures addressing the retention, collection, management, and production of electronically stored information (ESI).
Legal Compliance and Representation
- Breach and incident response in connection with state breach notice and personal information and privacy laws, including notification, mitigation, regulatory response, and litigation;
- Healthcare Privacy and Security (HIPAA-HITECH);
- Financial Privacy and Security (GLB, FFIEC guidance, Bank Secrecy Act);
- Marketing: fax, telemarking, email, online advertising (TCPA, CAN-SPAM, FTC Telemarketing Sales Rule);
- Payment Card Industry Digital Security Standard (PCI DSS);
- Identity Theft Red Flag Rules;
- Consumer Privacy Laws (FCRA, FACTA);
- Commercially Reasonable Security Procedures for Funds Transfer (Wire, ACH, Internet Transaction).
Regulatory and Tax Disputes
- Litigate a variety of matters before the S.C. Administrative Law Court and state and local government entities; including local and state tax cases, certificate of need (CON) applications, procurement matters, environmental permitting cases, disadvantaged business enterprise (DBE) applications, and alcohol licensing applications;
- Represent individuals and entities in connection with securities investigations conducted by the Securities Division of the South Carolina Attorney General;
- Represent broker dealers and registered representatives in FINRA arbitrations;
- Advise clients on exempt offerings and private placements.
Energy and Utilities
- Represent public utilities and transportation companies before the South Carolina Public Service Commission, and in other litigation and regulatory matters.
- Argue before the South Carolina Court of Appeals and the South Carolina Supreme Court.
- Representation in state, federal, and multi-district class action litigation, and in state and federal court commercial litigation matters.
Zoning and Land Use
- Assist developers, telecommunications companies and property owners in obtaining zoning and land use approvals, and addressing environmental permitting, compliance, remediation, and enforcement matters.
Jack earned his J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1996, and earned his B.A., cum laude, from Washington and Lee University in 1990.
In the community, Jack is an alumnus of Leadership Columbia and has served as a volunteer coach for the Columbia United YMCA Recreational Youth Soccer League.
Among the people Jack most admires is his father, a business professor and author, who has always had a profound sense of curiosity and a thirst for knowledge. His father gave him his passion for knowledge, problem solving, and lifelong learning.
In his spare time, Jack enjoys exercising, spending time with his family, and exploring the North Carolina Mountains.