Katie Gilchrist joined Adams and Reese in 2006, and is a Partner in the Special Business Services Group.
Katie handles a wide array of regulatory and legal issues for physicians, hospitals and other healthcare providers. Her practice focuses on recent developments in Federal health reform, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursements and appeals issues, contracting matters, and HIPAA and fraud and abuse compliance work. She also maintains a significant State regulatory practice, regularly handling Certificate of Need and licensure issues before the Mississippi State Department of Health. Additionally, she has experience in all types of employment discrimination actions including sexual harassment and discrimination, race and age discrimination and Fair Labor Standards Act cases.
Katie's significant contributions include:
- Lead Counsel to the Mississippi Insurance Department in the establishment of the authority, financing and development of the Mississippi Health Insurance Exchange.
- Representing hospitals and hospice providers, individual and group physician practices, diagnostic imaging centers, billing companies, and equipment vendors.
- Handling regulatory matters encountered in the health care industry for clients nationwide - including STARK, the AntiKickback Statute, HIPAA, EMTALA and certificate of need matters (state specific).
- Handling appeals from Medicaid and Medicare overpayment audits, as well as the new RAC Audit processes.
- Being selected as one of Mississippi’s 50 Leading Business Women in 2008 by the Mississippi Business Journal and also listed in Best Lawyers® - Health Care Law.
Katie is Chair of the Mississippi Bar Association's Health Law Section. She also serves as an Adjunct Professor at The University of Mississippi School of Law (since 2006), where she teaches courses on Health Law. She serves as a speaker for the program entitled "Mississippi Mental Health and the Law" presented annually by Health-Education. Katie is ranked among the top 10 in Mississippi Business Journal's 50 Leading Business Women.
Katie earned her J.D. from the University of Mississippi in 1991 and received her B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Mississippi in 1988. She is admitted to practice in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi, as well as the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Legal Perspective, Mississippi Medical News, December 2006, February 2007, March 2007, April 2007, May 2007, June 2007, July 2007, September 2007, November 2007; co-author.
The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act Immediately Impacts Providers' Compliance with STARK, the Anti-Kickback Statute, and False Claims Act Enforcement Efforts, Adams and Reese Client Alert, May 2010
Click for headshot