Businesses engaged in all aspects of the emerging, dynamic renewable energy industry regularly consult with Adams and Reese for our team’s careful analysis, practical advice and extensive resources to address all legal issues in the field of renewable energy. Since the infancy of this industry, our attorneys have been involved in nearly every facet, from financing and transactions to mergers and acquisitions, and from patents and licensing to tax and entity structuring.
Our team of forestry attorneys have skillfully navigated current law and policy trends in the areas of green product certifications, carbon sequestration, biomass facilities and contracts, BCAP (Biomass Crop Assistance Program) advice, conservation easements and water resources. The forestry team has advocated for our clients, drafted model laws, and defended against potentially damaging legislation to the goals of sustainable forestry.
Our public finance attorneys have experience with clean renewable energy bonds (“CREBs”) and other government programs that aid our clients in accessing markets to fund their infrastructure needs. We have represented several solar firms, and have significant experience with state and federal tax credits related to solar power and other renewable energy resources .
Our intellectual property team has prosecuted and enforced renewable energy patent rights in more than 100 countries, and offers expertise in taking innovative green and renewable energy resources from design to market.
The Adams and Reese renewable energy practice team provides clients with legal support for their facilities and operations, and finds strategic solutions to help them accomplish their goals. Adams and Reese attorneys provide a full range of transactional, regulatory, and environmental compliance services to our clients.
Our attorneys also represent clients before courts and governmental regulatory bodies, as well as in alternative dispute resolution, including arbitration and mediation.
Adams and Reese renewable energy attorneys have negotiated contracts relating to the purchase of renewable and blended renewable/conventional energy, and managed projects involving state and federally-funded energy research facilities. Moreover, the team has assisted with the negotiation of power purchase agreements and interconnection agreements with state utilities.
Adams and Reese attorneys have also assisted with development projects using solar power, and they have experience assisting with the negotiation of power purchase agreements and interconnection agreements with state utilities. Our attorneys have also provided corporate work related to the start-up of a solar equipment leasing company.
Our renewable energy team has collaborated with clients in the following sectors:
- Bio Fuels
Adams and Reese attorneys have been involved in several renewable energy cases including:
- Acquired international patent protection for one of the largest independent oil and gas exploration and production companies for a water current power generation system
- Assisted clients in government relations work for renewable energy solar projects for one of the largest rate-regulated utilities in the United States
- Refined Louisiana solar credit legislation, and structured Federal commercial tax credit paired with Louisiana residential credit
- Assisted clients with legal work for wind energy projects for national investment entities, and Harvard Endowment in Kentucky, Tennessee and Oklahoma
- Assisted clients with the purchase of water from a River Authority pursuant to a Water Sales Agreement out of a State’s share of surface water in a reservoir
- Worked with a large engineering group providing legal assistance for a marine hydrokinetic technology Department of Energy grant proposal
- Provided tax and entity structuring for an International wind turbine client
- Worked pro bono to help clients gain numerous renewable energy incentives for Energy Economic Zone in Sarasota County, Florida
- Developed numerous state and federal renewable energy grant programs, and provided advice and consultation regarding Department of Energy renewable energy and energy efficiency grants
- Assisted with wind leases and the form of such leases for the State of Louisiana
- Provided contract review and general corporate representation for a start-up renewable energy services company that provides services on wind turbines and solar panel services
- Drafted construction contracts for the design and construction of a 40 MMGY (million gallon per year) ethanol production facility
- Negotiated and drafted wind leases for several TIMOs (Timber Investment Management Organizations) in Pennsylvania and New York
- Provided a solar power purchase agreement and an utility interconnection agreement for a solar array project.
Adams and Reese clients have access to a team of attorneys active in a wide variety of industry organizations who have practiced extensively before federal and state energy and environmental regulators and who are dedicated to sustaining a strong tradition of innovation and effectiveness in the renewable energy industry.