Rich Stewart joined Adams and Reese in 2000 and provides strategic business counsel and representation to a wide variety of clients across a number of industries. The core of Rich’s practice consists of assisting his clients with contractual matters and litigating complex commercial disputes, often involving claims for breach of contract and indemnity obligations, directors’ and officers’ liability, deceptive trade practices, fraud, tortious interference, and other business torts. He is also experienced in maritime, personal injury, environmental, insurance, and product liability litigation.
Having practiced in Houston his entire career, Rich represents a number of domestic and international clients in the oil and gas industry, including both onshore and offshore operators, drilling contractors, and service companies. While much of his practice is energy-related, Rich has also successfully represented numerous corporate clients in other industries as well, including manufacturing, construction, transportation, insurance, and financial services.
Regardless of the business enterprises in which his clients may be engaged, Rich always strives to understand his clients’ operations and pursue their business objectives as he works closely with them to achieve desired results. This approach often includes working together on training, safety, investigations, emergency response, documents, and policies and procedures. Rich is also a strong advocate for his clients, whether representing them in negotiations or in the courtroom as plaintiffs or defendants in litigation. Rich has tried a number of different types of cases to verdict, and he has also successfully briefed and argued both state and federal appeals. He is licensed to practice in all courts of the State of Texas and in the federal courts of the Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of Texas and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
Some of his representative recent matters include:
- Assisting an exploration company in recovering in excess of $100 million for breaches of purchase and sale agreements for oil and gas properties.
- Assisting a Thai defense contractor in recovering for various claims in connection with multi-million dollar Asian defense procurements.
- Assisting a domestic operator and drilling contractor in connection with various claims arising out of a well destroyed by dropped casing.
- Assisting a foreign operator in recovering for damages and lost production in connection with a well blowout incident.
- Assisting large onshore and offshore drilling contractors in defending against catastrophic personal injury claims and handling associated indemnity issues.
- Assisting a large financial services company in successfully defending consumer and mortgage-related claims.
- Assisting an investment firm in obtaining and collecting upon judgments against various defendants involved in an oil and gas investment.
- Assisting a transportation company in resolving various cargo, freight, competition, and lien issues arising out of operations.
Rich received his Doctor of Jurisprudence from the University of Texas School of Law, where he was a Teaching Quizmaster. Prior to law school, he attended Columbia University and Brigham Young University, from which he received a Bachelor of Arts in Economics and French. He is fluent in French.
Active in several professional organizations, Rich has also authored a number of articles for professional seminars and trade publications. In his free time, he likes to read, travel and spend time with family and friends.
Click for headshot