Practicing for more than 30 years with diverse litigation experience from health care law to products liability, professional liability and education law, W. Lee Maddux joins Adams and Reese in 2011 as Special Counsel in the Nashville office as well as the Chattanooga office.
A former special counsel for the City of Chattanooga, Lee’s practice focuses on litigation involving professional liability, premise liability, product liability, personal injury, health care, long-term care, medical malpractice and business disputes.
Lee’s long-term care practice focuses on the defense of elder care, extended care and nursing home facilities and assisted living facilities. He has been involved in professional liability litigation, encompassing legal issues such as alternative dispute resolution (ADR) agreements, business litigation, and hospital liability.
Lee’s representative experience includes:
- Summary Judgment for nursing medical malpractice case
- Directed Verdict in child safety seat products liability case
- Summary Judgment in child walker/juvenile products case
- Defense Verdict in surgical procedure medical malpractice case
- Summary Judgment in case regarding wrongful termination of employment for fraudulent conduct
- Resolution on terms very favorable to an employer of Title 7 employee termination cases
- Resolution of multiple claims and lawsuits arising out of minor student's alleged unsolicited advances towards another minor student
- Resolution of significant wrongful death action involving tragic drowning death on terms favorable to defendant/client
- Resolution of catastrophic brain injury from premise liability shooting case on terms favorable to defendant/client
Lee is a member of the Litigation Section of the American Bar Association, the Defense Research Institute and the Tennessee Defense Lawyers Association. In the health care field, Lee is a member of the American Association and Tennessee Association of Homes and Services for the Aging.
Active in the community, Lee aided the revitalization of the Tennessee Council of School Board Attorneys. He is a member of the National Council of School Board Attorneys and also was past chair and currently sits on the board of directors of Boyd-Buchanan School in Chattanooga. He also sits on the Advisory Board for the Lipscomb University Dean Institute of Corporate Governance and Integrity.
Lee is a Nashville native, receiving his J.D. from Vanderbilt University in 1974, and his B.A. from Lipscomb University in 1971. He and his wife, Gail, currently live in Ooltewah, Tennessee. They have three grown children; two are Lipscomb University graduates and one is a Lee University graduate.
Among the people who have influenced Lee in his career include Dr. A. Dennis Loyd, retired English professor from Lipscomb University, and W. Harold Bigham, attorney and former professor of law at Vanderbilt Law School.
Lee enjoys playing golf with friends, doing outside activities with family, reading historical literature and serving on the board of Boyd-Buchanan School.
- Presenter, Street Law course, 2009, 2011
- Presenter, Mock Trial to Tennessee Association of Housing and Services for the Aging (TNAHSA), Annual Meeting, 2010
- Presenter, Mock Trial to the Arkansas Health Care Association Annual Meeting, 2009, 2010
- Presenter, TNAHSA, Regional Meetings, 2009, 2010
- Presenter, Education Law Seminar
Click for headshot