Alongside the work I do preparing cases for trial and appeal, I work with my clients to help them avoid future disputes – through the contracts I draft and the agreements I negotiate for them. As I follow new developments in the law, I provide them with updates and give presentations.
Brianne W. Richardson is a trial lawyer who focuses primarily on appellate practice and oil/gas litigation. She has represented litigants in the Texas Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and various appellate courts across the state of Texas. Brianne is extensively involved in the pre-trial stages of cases for complex motion practice and at trial. She also supervises and manages all discovery for certain clients in order to provide consistency and cost efficiency across multiple cases.
Brianne has worked with clients in a wide variety of industries including oil and gas, petrochemical, manufacturing and distributing, commercial construction, insurance, property owners’ associations, property managers and owners, and other business owners. She has advised on cases involving a broad range of claims, including breach of contract, fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, negligence, employment disputes, corporate formation disputes, premises liability, products liability, insurance coverage issues, defamation, invasion of privacy, legal malpractice, and guardianship disputes.
- 10 Commandments of Summary Judgment Practice, T.A.D.C. Winter Seminar, February 2012
- Defending Building Products in a Complex Construction Defect Case, Co-author, DRI Annual Meeting, October 2011
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2006
- Texas A&M University, B.B.A., 2002
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
In the legal community, Brianne is a member of the American Bar Association Appellate Advocacy Committee of Tort Trial & Insurance, the Houston Bar Association, the Texas Young Lawyers Association, the Texas Association of Defense Counsel and the Defense Research Institute. She is also an active in the Texas Bar Association’s Appellate, Oil & Gas, and Construction Sections, and is a member of the Women’s Energy Network.
The favorable appellate rulings that Brianne has obtained for clients include:
- In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, reversal of summary judgment on a breach of contract claim
- In the Supreme Court of Texas, reversal and remand of a First Court of Appeals decision regarding contract formation
- In the First Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas, reversal of $2.368 million jury verdict in construction defect lawsuit
- Affirmance of summary judgments in favor of arbitration sponsoring organizations and pleas to the jurisdiction in both the Second and Fifth Courts of Appeals of Texas on the grounds of arbitral immunity
- In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, affirmance of summary judgment in a dispute between a manufacturer and its distributor
- In the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas, reversal of a jury verdict regarding breach of contract claims against two individual shareholders
- In the First Court of Appeals, Houston, Texas, affirmance of summary judgment in favor of a homeowners’ association regarding both the individual and derivative claims of a homeowner
- In the Third Court of Appeals, Austin, Texas, affirmance of summary judgment in favor of a property owner in a premises liability case
- In the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, affirmance of summary judgment in favor of a property owner in a case regarding civil rights issues, qualified indemnity, and unlawful arrest claims