I focus my practice on intellectual property litigation and counseling clients on matters involving trademarks, patents, copyrights, and rights of publicity.
Caitlin Smith works closely with clients from a variety of industries in her intellectual property practice, including those in the technology, consumer products, and entertainment industries. She is familiar with technologies such as consumer electronics, medical devices, industrial automation, and wireless communications software.
Caitlin represents clients in federal court litigation and arbitrations involving claims of trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, patent infringement, false advertising, and breach of contract. She has successfully handled oppositions and cancellation proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and has experience with Section 337 litigation before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
Caitlin also advises clients on international and domestic trademark clearance, protection, and enforcement strategy. She manages the prosecution and enforcement of trademark portfolios for clients both large and small, including a leading smart home automation company, a major U.S. entertainment studio, and a professional sports league.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 2015, Dean's Scholar
- University of Georgia, B.A., 2012, History and International Affairs, summa cum laude; Presidential Scholar
- Georgia Superior Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Civil Liberties Union, Attorney Advocate
- American Bar Association, Member
- Vanderbilt University Oak Leaf Society, Member
- Represented a smart home automation company by advising on international and domestic trademark portfolio strategy, enforcement, and dispute management.
- Successfully resolved several opposition proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeals Board for several U.S. universities and a professional sports league.
- Represented a manufacturer of health and wellness supplements in federal litigation involving counterfeiting, trademark infringement, false advertising, and licensing issues.
- Successfully defended a manufacturer of oil and gas technology in a matter involving trade secret misappropriation and patent infringement.
- Represented a global ATM manufacturer in patent litigation involving deposit automation technologies before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
- Provided trademark portfolio counseling to a major U.S. entertainment studio by advising on the risk and viability of film and television titles.
- Counseled media clients on issues pertaining to free speech, defamation, and compliance with privacy laws.