I am committed to meeting and exceeding a client’s goals. In that regard I am also committed to understanding the concerns clients may have when they become involved in a dispute, litigation or any situation where their interests are potentially at risk, including costs and uncertainty. I do all that I can to solve a problem or dispute in an cost-efficient and creative way, and I provide regular updates to reduce or address any uncertainty, keeping a client abreast of any twists or turns in the proceedings. Clients benefit from my reputation of consistently maintaining a direct, candid and clear line of communication, which also includes communication with opposing counsel and the court.
Charles “Charlie” Cook draws on years of experience and a deep well of knowledge to represent clients in general commercial litigation involving sales of goods and services, bankruptcy matters and litigation and commercial loan workouts. Some of these matters require a combination of litigation and negotiation that compel Charlie to untangle layers of complexity, craft and implement innovative strategies and a work in close partnership with clients, who say they value his creativity and collaboration.
Charlie counsels financial institutions on risk mitigation matters and defends clients in lender liability cases and claims brought under the Uniform Commercial Code and other laws particularly applicable to bank operations. In addition to representing banks and other creditors in bankruptcy matters, he helps purchasers of assets and lenders navigate the issues that arise in bankruptcy sales.
In service to clients, Charlie works in tandem with them in setting realistic goals, assisting in achieving those objectives and helping make the best out bad situations while reaping the most out of good ones.
“ While I appreciate working on a wide range of matters, I especially enjoy partnering with sophisticated clients to help them solve problems and enhance their businesses and lives. I cultivate reciprocal relationships with them; that is, while I always offer the best counsel I can, I also learn a lot from my clients along the way. ”
- Vanderbilt University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- Yale University, B.A., 1987
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Financial Services Regulation Law, Health Care Law, Litigation - Banking and Finance, Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Banking and Finance Litigation, 2014
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Tennessee Board of Law Examiners Investigating Committee
- The Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee, Bishop & Council
- Tennessee Bankers Association Lawyers Committee