In college I majored in math, and I’ve always thought that my math education gave me an eye for detail and has made me more sensitive to logical fallacies and ambiguities – which helps in analyzing legal issues in a rigorous way. And I think after doing this 40 years, if there’s one right answer, I can get to the right answer efficiently. And if there’s no one right answer, I strive to arrive at the best answer.
Charles C. Pinckney advises banking and other business clients on securities, mergers and acquisitions, banking regulatory and operational issues, and business transactions matters. He advises clients on securities law issues arising under a wide range of statutes and SEC rules, including Rules 144 and 145, Regulation M, Regulation FD, §16 short-swing profit and reporting provisions and general issues involved in stock benefit plans. He has represented public company clients on a full range of securities laws issues. He has drafted and reviewed annual and quarterly reports and annual proxy statements, and he has handled 1933 Act registrations, including public debt and equity offerings and registrations for over 50 acquisitions.
Charles has also counseled financial institution clients regarding banking laws and regulations, vendor management issues, and has negotiated contracts with technology vendors who serve banks and financial institutions.
In his business practice, Charles draws on his experience in the first half of his career litigating ERISA and complex securities cases. These included proxy contests, contested tender offers, and seminal fraud-on-the-market cases in the Fifth and Eleventh Circuit Courts.
“ After 40 years, relationships with the people I work with and for are what keep me going. ”
- University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 1975
- Louisiana State University, B.S., 1972
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Securities/Capital Markets, 2013
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Securities Regulation, 2014
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Financial Services Regulations Law, 2018
- Best Lawyers® - Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulations
- Chambers USA - Banking and Finance
- Alabama Super Lawyers® - Banking
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar
- LSU College of Basic Sciences - Dean's Executive Committee