The easiest answer an attorney can give is no. But that’s not always helpful to the client. In most instances, the client has already assumed that the issue they have come to you with is difficult and they are looking to the attorney as a problem solver. I look for the safest, most pragmatic way to solve legal problems for clients.
Christopher Y. Mills advises financial institutions, funds, businesses, and real estate owners and developers on a variety of real estate and corporate transactional matters. He has extensive experience representing lenders with originations, acquisitions, servicing, and disposition of commercial loans. Much of his practice focuses on advising government-backed lenders on the bulk purchase and sale of mortgages for properties throughout the United States. With deep experience advising clients in the financial services industry on transactional matters, Chris also advises on corporate governance matters for these clients as well as for companies in other industries.
In addition, he serves as outside general counsel to
Chris earned his J.D. from Stetson University College of Law and his B.S. in Political Science from Jacksonville University. During law school, he clerked for Georgia Supreme Court Justice Carol Hunstein.
Chris serves as Partner in Charge of the Fort Lauderdale office.
“ Most of my clients were smaller when they engaged me, and we have grown together. They want answers, and I look to give them good answers with as few caveats as possible. ”
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2008
- Jacksonville University, B.S., 2003, Political Science
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
In the legal community, he is active in the Real Estate Sections of The Florida Bar and the State Bar of Georgia and a member of the Florida Bankers Association. He is also a member of the National Association of Development Companies and previously served on the Jacksonville University Alumni Board of Governors.
Areas of Practice
- Florida Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Banking 2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- The Florida Bar, Real Estate Section
- State Bar of Georgia, Real Estate Section
- Florida Bankers Association
- Jacksonville University Alumni Board of Governors (2013-2014)
- Serves as corporate counsel to one of the largest SBA lenders in the nation.
- Represented a national automobile rental company in its creation of an indirect lending program.
- Serves as corporate counsel for a medical device and digital
- Represented the buyer in the purchase of non-performing loans in the total amount of $66 million from a bank headquartered in Miami, Florida.
- Represented the buyer in the purchase of non-performing loans and commercial foreclosure deficiencies in the amount of $11 million from a Florida bank.
- Represented the seller in the sale of 24 non-performing loans in the total amount of $24 million, secured by assets located in Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and Alabama.
- Represented the borrower in the workout of a $46 million loan secured by a retail shopping center in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Represented the seller of three multifamily apartment complexes in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Negotiates participation agreements on behalf of lending entities that partner in originating loans.