I have represented some clients for more than 20 years, and they retain me because of the deep well of knowledge, decades of experience and commitment to responsiveness I bring to their matters. Initially representing them on a single transaction, I have, over the years, often expanded that to advising them on more than a hundred deals. I enjoy helping them grow their business.
Widely recognized by both national and regional attorney rating services for his client service, Reed Houk advises buyers, sellers, banks and other financial institutions in their commercial real estate transactional matters. While he centers his practice in Tennessee, Reed also collaborates with other attorneys in the firm’s regional platform on multi-state transactions. Frequently, out-of-state companies and other law firms turn to Reed to serve as local counsel in commercial real estate deals.
Clients value Reed’s ability to provide strategic, practical advice on the various issues that arise in their sales, acquisitions, development, construction, leasing, management, financing and other matters involving their properties. Taking a very goal-oriented approach, he prides himself on getting deals closed in a timely and efficient manner, working collaboratively with his clients. He understands that in the fast-paced, time-critical world of commercial real estate clients expect him to respond quickly to their needs – and he always works hard to meet those expectations and deliver top-tier service.
Reed stays abreast of state and federal regulatory changes and offers guidance to his clients about taking pro-active measures to stay out in front of any new developments. That’s especially true in his work for clients on 1031 exchange transactions, which involve the ever-evolving federal tax laws.
With nearly four decades of legal practice, Reed serves clients with this philosophy: If you’re doing transactions right, you accomplish your clients’ goals while achieving a win-win outcome for those on both sides of the transaction. That’s how deals get done.
- University of Tennessee, J.D., 1979
- University of Tennessee, B.S., 1976
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best of the Bar - Nashville Business Journal
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Financial Services Regulation Law, 2014
- Best Lawyers® - Banking and Finance Law, Financial Services Regulation Law, Real Estate Law
- Chambers USA - Real Estate
- Mid-South Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Real Estate 2008-2013
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association