A good deal has changed since I started the government relations practice in 1987, but two things will never change. First, government relations clients need advocates who understand how the wheels of government work – both the legislature and agencies. Second, and equally important, they need advocates who listen carefully, who develop a solid understanding of their business, their industry, and how laws and regulations affect their business.
E. L. “Bubba” Henry is the former Speaker of the Louisiana House of Representatives. He has the distinction of being the only speaker to succeed himself in modern history, and in 2012, he was inducted into the Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame in Winnfield.
Practicing in government relations, Bubba possesses keen insight into the complex relationships between local, state and federal governments, and has a reputation as one of Louisiana's most successful and influential lobbyists.
He served as a member in the Louisiana House of Representatives from 1968 to 1980, and he was House Speaker from 1972 to 1980. In 1973, he chaired the Constitutional Convention, and in his first term in the Legislature, he worked with a group of younger members who advocated reform. Called the "Young Turks," the group urged major changes in how the Legislature operated, including creating decorum in the House, removing lobbyists from the House floor, and bringing accountability to the appropriations process. They blazed a trail that led to a new state Constitution in 1973 and reforms impacting state government.
Bubba served as Commissioner of Administration for the State of Louisiana from 1980 to 1984. During this appointment, he was responsible for the daily operation and management of state government. As Commissioner, he pushed to fruition the plans and blueprints for the State Capitol Complex and the consolidation of state offices within the Capitol environs.
Bubba has served as Partner in Charge of the Adams and Reese Baton Rouge office and on the firm's Executive Committee. He is the firm's voting member and past Chair of the State Capitol Law Firm Group.
Bubba married Frances Turner Henry in 1958, and they have two children, Patrick E. Henry and Lori Henry Taylor. He has served as Deacon and Trustee and has taught the Young Adult Sunday School class of University Baptist Church in Baton Rouge for many years.
In his free time, Bubba enjoys being with his family, reading and playing golf.
“ My heart always beats a little faster when I get a call from a potential client asking if we're available. Helping clients navigate the ins and outs of government never ceases to energize and fascinate me. ”
- Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., 1961
- Baylor University, B.A., 1958
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Government Relations
- Louisiana Political Hall of Fame - Class of 2012
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Governmental Relations, 2013
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Government Relations, 2016
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Governmental Relations, 2018
- Named by Louisiana Life magazine as one of 20 persons who have "most influenced public policy in Louisiana during the past 20 years." The designation came in 2001 after his tenure in the Legislature had ended.
- Honored in the Oval Office, in Washington, DC, in 1974, by President Gerald R. Ford, Jr., who cited his "exemplary leadership," particularly in reference to his chairmanship of the Constitutional Convention.
- Recognized on his 70th birthday in 2006 by the Statehouse, which expressed "enduring gratitude" for his "outstanding contributions to the state." The House resolution also said that Henry "lives his life based on his faith in his Creator."
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Association of Louisiana Lobbyists
- Council for a Better Louisiana
- Louisiana Appleseed, Board of Directors
- Louisiana Telecommunications Association
- Public Affairs Research Council of LA
- State Capital Law Firm Group, Voting Member, Past Chair
- Sunrise Rotary of Baton Rouge