With a background in business and politics, LaJoia is constantly striving to create new and innovative ways to connect people with ideas. As a career communicator with fifteen plus years of strategic communications and leadership experience, she adopts an integrated communications approach by aligning marketing, communications, and public affairs to create brand consistency and cohesive messaging to build strong relationships with target constituencies.
Known for deep bipartisan relationships with policy makers, business and community leaders, industry peers, and trade associations, LaJoia’s unique and creative approach to advocacy helps build bridges on issues and move ideas forward to advance clients’ interests.
Prior to joining Adams and Reese, LaJoia’s experiences— in a full spectrum of industries— include serving as the South Carolina State Government Affairs Manager for JUUL Labs, the Director of External Communications at the South Carolina Retirement System Investment Commission, the Executive Director for the South Carolina Legislative Black Caucus, an entrepreneur, and leading marketing and communications programs for a range of small and and minority-owned businesses.
LaJoia has also served as a political consultant for a number of successful campaigns and served as the South Carolina State Director for Deval Patrick’s 2020 presidential campaign.
Note: LaJoia Broughton is not licensed to practice law.
“ I am honored to be part of such a great organization and to work with a fantastic and innovative group of people. I am excited about being part of all the exciting things happening at Adams and Reese! ”
- University of South Carolina, MMC, 2005, Integrated Communications
- Furman University, B.A., 2003, Communications Studies
- Port Ambassador for the South Carolina Ports Authority (Class of 2021-2022)
- Columbia Metropolitan Airport (Richland/ Lexington Airport District) Commissioner
- Junior League of Columbia
- South Carolina Independent Colleges and Universities Trustee
- City of Columbia Hospitality Tax Advisory Board
- 100 Women Who Care Midlands SC
Areas of Practice
- Blacks in Government, Port City Chapter (Mobile, AL) Outstanding Service to the Community and Our Organization Award, June 20, 2022
- Riley Institute at Furman University, Diversity Leaders Initiative Fellow, Graduate Education Series, 2020
- CFA Institute Investment Foundations Program, 2019
- Riley Institute at Furman University, Diversity Leaders Initiative Fellow, 2018
- University of Richmond – Robins School of Business, Minority Business Enterprises Executive Management Program, 2016