I devote my entire practice to appeals at the state and federal level, in all substantive areas. I bring deep experience to the table when clients consider appealing an adverse verdict. If they do decide to appeal, I draw on a broad knowledge base and a keen sense of strategy to craft tactical lines of attack and deliver persuasive representation in appellate courtrooms.
As a founding member of the firm’s Appellate Practice Team, Louis LaCour has carefully nurtured its growth and attracted a national clientele. He serves as lead counsel in high-stakes litigation cases.
In his representation in an oxygen pipeline explosion and fire, for example, an appellate court reversed a $158 million jury verdict and dismissed all claims against his client. He has procured other multi-million-dollar reversals for clients in the aftermath of court decisions stemming from large accidents, disasters and explosions.
As an adjunct professor for Tulane University, Louis has taught courses in civil procedure, class actions, and legal writing. He is an enthusiastic proponent of lawyers speaking and writing in plain English instead of legalese.
Active in professional organizations, Louis is the chair of the Appellate Section of the Louisiana State Bar Association. Since 2017, he has also served as the initial chairman of the Appellate Practice Advisory Commission to the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialties, which oversees legal specialization in the state. Louis was a moving force in efforts to have appellate practice recognized as a specialty in the state of Louisiana, and is one of only seven board-certified specialists in this practice area. In addition to his duties as chairman of the Commission, Louis also works with others in the group to prepare the certification examination for applicants for appellate-practice certification.
In addition to working in all appellate courts in Louisiana, he has also represented client interest in appeals in the Third, Sixth and Seventh federal circuit courts of appeal, as well as matters before the United States Supreme Court.
Louis has served many leadership roles with the Boy Scouts of America, including being named to the BSA Southeast Louisiana Council's board of directors.
“ On a professional level, I’m pleased to have been able to educate the legal consumer that matters that reach the appellate stage are best handled by appellate specialists. This goes against a long-ingrained belief that trial practice and appellate practice draw on virtually the same skill sets. As any appellate judge will attest, this is simply not the case. ”
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1984
- Loyola University, B.S., 1981
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the District of Colorado
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell 2012-2018
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Appellate Law 2012-2019
- Best Lawyers® - Appellate Practice
- New Orleans' Top Lawyers, New Orleans Magazine, 2017
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- Defense Research Institute
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Boy Scouts of America Southeast Louisiana Council - Board of Directors