My goal is not simply to meet my clients’ expectations, but to exceed them. I work tirelessly to meet that goal on every case I am entrusted.
Matt Copeland focuses on representing large public companies, private businesses and individuals in construction disputes, commercial litigation, and personal injury matters in both state and federal court. His construction practice involves representing contractors, builders, and suppliers in complex, multi-party litigation concerning the construction of commercial, multi-family, and government buildings. He also handles delay claims, as well as residential construction disputes. Matt also represents building product manufacturers against claims for product liability, design defect, and manufacturing defect. He also has experience representing owners, property managers and community associations in real estate matters.
Matt’s commercial litigation experience includes prosecuting and defending claims for breach of contract, fraud and violations of the Deceptive Trade Practices Act. He also has extensive experience defending businesses against personal injury and wrongful death claims.
- University of Houston, J.D., 2012, cum laude
- University of Texas at Austin, B.A., Journalism, 2009
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® Ones To Watch - Commercial Litigation, 2021, 2022
- Texas Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) General Litigation 2016-2020; Civil Litigation: Defense 2022-2023
- University of Houston Law Center – Mock Trial Team, Symposium Editor for the Houston Business and Tax Law Journal
- Voted to serve on council for the Construction Law Section of the Houston Bar Association – 2020-2023
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Order of the Barristers
- Silver Spurs Alumni Association
- Represented building product manufacturer in a complex, multi-party lawsuit over the construction of a large multi-family project.
- Represented foundation contractor in a dispute over the construction of a 15-story high rise.
- Represented a manufacturer of gas processing equipment in a complex and highly technical dispute over the propriety of the client’s product, as well as the client’s engineering calculations and basis for design.
- Represented residential builder in multiple lawsuits over the construction of a beach-front community in Galveston, Texas.
- Represented numerous oil and gas contractors against claims arising from oilfield personal injuries and negotiating favorable settlements for the clients.
- Obtained a $36+ million judgment at trial for an offshore construction and service company over the non-payment of invoices for services rendered.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment on behalf of window and siding manufacturer against claims asserted by a homeowner.
- Obtained a favorable judgment at trial for a homeowner in a case involving claims for trespass to try title, adverse possession and various easements.
- Obtained a judgment on behalf of an automobile finance company against a dealership arising out of the breach of a security agreement.