I like to get to know my clients in order to understand their businesses and their legal needs so that I can maximize efficiencies and provide the legal products and services that help them achieve their individual goals in an ever-changing commercial, economic, and legal environment.
Matthew "Matt" B. Hill concentrates his practice primarily in the areas of commercial real estate development, leasing, and finance. Matt regularly works with clients to provide advice and guidance for all phases of commercial real estate development including site acquisition, construction, mezzanine and permanent financing, and dispositions. He also frequently works with landlords and national and local tenants on multi-tenant and single-tenant leases for industrial facilities, warehouses, retail and office space, shopping centers, and restaurants throughout the southeast and beyond. He also advises national, regional, and local clients who own and/or manage national commercial real estate portfolios.
Matt’s practice also includes representation of national and regional banks and other private and institutional lenders that provide financing for the development and redevelopment of commercial real estate, as well as credit facilities to borrowers for working capital, equipment, and other financial products made to facilitate a borrower’s other business needs.
Matt is the Partner in Charge of the Adams and Reese Columbia, SC office and leads the firm's Real Estate Team.
Matt is a member of the Board of Directors for the South Carolina Wildlife Federation and a long-time member and past Distinguished President of the Columbia Kiwanis Club. He speaks regularly to commercial bankers on topics related to loan documentation, title insurance and commercial finance. Outside of the office Matt enjoys spending time outdoors at the ballfield, in the woods, or on the water with his wife and three boys.
“ I am transparent and candid. My clients appreciate that I don’t beat around the bush. ”
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Davidson College, B.A., 1997
- South Carolina
- South Carolina
Committed to investing personal time in the community, Matt is a past Distinguished President of the Columbia Kiwanis Club.
Matt has served on the Board of Directors for the Columbia Chamber of Commerce and is a 2004 graduate of the Chamber’s Leadership Columbia program. He is a member of the Leadership Columbia Alumni Association. Matt also serves on the Board of Directors of the South Carolina Wildlife Federation.
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Columbia Banking and Finance Law, 2023
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly, 2017 - 2021
- Top Attorney, Columbia Business Monthly Legal Elite of the Midlands, 2013-2021
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2004
- “Civic Star Award,” Richland County Bar Association, 2005
- Best Lawyers® - Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Matt serves the South Carolina Bar as a member of the Corporate Banking and Securities Law Section Council. He is a past recipient of the Richland County Bar Association’s Civic Star Award which is given in recognition of exceptional and meritorious public service to the community for activities outside the practice of law.
- Maintaining an active practice as counsel to banks and other institutional lenders, which provide construction, term, permanent and conduit financing to their customers.
- Representing Real Estate Investments Trusts in connection with the acquisition and disposition of REIT assets throughout the United States.
- Assisting clients with matters involving real property taxation, valuation and assessment.
- Representing property owners associations with the creations and enforcement of restrictive covenants.
- Representing clients with real property issues involving easements, local zoning ordinances, subdivisions, and matters involving local utilities.