I represent foreign and domestic clients in leasing, buying or selling real estate and other assets, in seeking or providing financing collateralized by real estate and other assets, in development deals, and in bond originations. In addition, I spend a great deal of time assisting businesses to obtain and organize equity capital, including drafting and negotiating organizational documents for real estate joint venture operating agreements, private funds which invest in one or multiple ventures, and loan participation arrangements.
Matthew B. Norton advises clients on real estate-related matters and secured transactions collateralized by both real estate and other property (i.e., asset based or “ABL” borrowings). He has worked with banks, finance companies, private lenders, real estate developers (single family and commercial), daycare facilities, real estate brokerages, self-storage facilities, senior living facilities, hotels, student housing facilities, apartments, and residential/commercial condominiums. Matthew has also worked closely with non-profit hospitals, mixed-use developments, urban transit agencies, timber companies, private investors, municipalities and others.
Matthew frequently represents non-US persons investing in the United States and abroad. These investments include real estate and non-real estate related businesses.
Prior to attending law school, he served as Vice President of Sales and Marketing in Southern China for Riviera Products, Inc., a North Carolina-based, large-scale furniture import company. Matthew is proficient in Mandarin Chinese.
- Georgia State University College of Law, J.D., 2004, cum laude
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., 2000, International Affairs, with high honors
Areas of Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Matthew is active in the American Bar Association Real Estate Section and the Georgia Bar Association Real Estate and Business Sections.
- Handled dozens of commercial real estate and non-real estate secured closings of up to $200 million in value (per transaction)
- Managed blind and deal specific equity capitalizations up to $50 million and beyond
- Managed and conducted thousands of commercial and residential foreclosures for servicers and banks
- Frequently close portfolio (and individual) purchases, sales and debt financings of multifamily properties in multiple states
- Frequently close land transactions permitting the development of dozens to hundreds of single family homes
- Handled small- and large-balance corporate and municipal bond originations ranging from $12 million to $500 million
- Handled major hotel development deals for many worldwide luxury hotel brands
- Handled retail and office leasing and development ranging from $10 million to $200 million