My clients know me as someone who is creative, thorough and efficient when it comes to their matters. I enjoy finding creative solutions to novel legal issues.
Matt Storey represents and counsels large corporations, private companies, start-up ventures and individuals in commercial disputes and tort litigation. His commercial litigation experience includes defending and asserting claims pertaining to breach of contract, fraud, warranty, tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duty, suits on sworn accounts and similar claims. Matt’s commercial litigation practice often involves construction disputes. In the area of tort litigation, Matt has substantial experience representing companies in disputes involving wrongful death, maritime claims, premises and products liability, negligence, conversion and similar claims. He also has experience handling claims pertaining to defense and indemnity issues and commercial and residential property insurance and lease disputes.
Matt also has extensive experience representing financial institutions on both the transactional and litigation sides. This includes drafting loan agreements, promissory notes, deeds of trust, and similar documents, enforcing loan agreements in default, and pursuing deficiency actions through post-judgment collection. Consequently, Matt is thoroughly knowledgeable about Texas lien law, including real and personal property liens, mechanic’s and materialman’s liens, mineral liens, judgment liens and others. Matt’s transactional experience also includes negotiating leases and real estate deals, and business acquisitions.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Mississippi, B.A., 2004
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Western District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- 9-0 Texas Supreme Court ruling in a financial institution’s favor regarding Texas contract law
- Closing of several real estate transactions collectively involving millions of dollars in property
- Defending against multi-plaintiff lawsuits involving incidents in the oil and gas industry
- Obtaining a number of summary judgments for premises owners in premises liability cases, including maintaining summary judgment on appeal
- Obtaining several temporary restraining orders and injunctions and defending against same in a variety of matters
- Obtaining summary judgment in multimillion dollar breach of contract cases and maintaining summary judgment on appeal