I understand the benefits and risks of litigation for each of my clients, emphasize a practical assessment of disputes, and provide innovative strategies. Whether advancing or defending claims, I am relentless in pursuing my client’s objectives.
Michael Kolcun is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice on business and intellectual property disputes, including breach of contract, partnership/joint venture and shareholder claims, copyright and trademark infringement, and other business torts. His clients range from large corporations to start-ups, as well as investors and individuals. Michael has prosecuted and defended numerous actions in state courts in Florida and New York, as well as in federal district, appellate, and bankruptcy courts and arbitration tribunals throughout the country.
- Don’t Pull the Trigger on a Shotgun Pleading—Here’s Why, Business Law Section of the Florida Bar, March 16, 2021
- Enforcing Judgment Against a Debtor's Spouse, Law360, November 21, 2017
- Protecting and Enforcing Judgment Creditor Interests in IP, Law360, June 30, 2017
- How Hedge Fund Managers Can Address Common Issues and Risks When Enforcing Judgments Against Debtors, The Hedge Fund Report, October 20, 2016
- 3 Steps to Successful Judgment Enforcement, Law360, September 15, 2016
- Maximizing Your Chances for Oral Argument, DRI, August 2016
- Regulatory Update – Lender Liability, Private Asset Management, April 2016
- The Ethical Limits of Attorney Social Media Investigations, Law360, July 7, 2015
- First Class Relief Study: How Class Actions Benefit Those Who Are Injured, Defrauded and Violated, Center for Justice Democracy, New York Law School, October 2014
- Careers in Business Law, University of South Florida - Pre-Law Track, 2021
- The Do's and Don’ts of Social Media: An Ethical Guide for Attorneys, Hispanic Bar Association of New Jersey, Newark, New Jersey, April 14, 2016
- The Ethics of Client Investigations: Maximizing Effectiveness & Avoiding Pitfalls, Columbian Lawyers Association, March 2015
- Dominican College’s inaugural Criminal Justice Day, Panelist, 2013
- Comparative Criminology and Criminal Justice, Guest Lecturer, Florida State University, 2011
- Florida State University College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Florida State University, B.A., 2006
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
Florida State University College of Law Alumni Association, Presidential Appointment, Board of Directors
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a "Rising Star" in New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Star
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- Tampa Bay Chamber – Emerging Leaders, 2021
- Achieved a favorable settlement after obtaining a temporary injunction, an order denying a motion to dismiss, and a contempt order in litigation over civil theft and conversion claims.
- Secured dismissal of a putative class action over deceptive and unfair trade practices for a multinational restaurant chain in Florida state court.
- Achieved a judgment vacating a $20 million arbitration award in a dispute over a shareholder buyout.
- Recovered a $14.5 million settlement for a renowned entertainer in a legal malpractice action.
- Obtained a $6 million judgment for an international security firm in a fraud case in New Jersey federal court.
- Secured a $3 million judgment for an international investor in a breach of contract case in New York and Florida state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration proceedings.
- Recovered a $1.25 million settlement for an international investor in a shareholder suit in Nevada federal court.
- Secured dismissal of several Copyright Act claims and an attorneys’ fees award for a preeminent rock band in New York federal court.
- Recovered favorable settlements for a photographer alleging copyright infringement in New York federal court.
- Prosecuted a 5,000-member class and collective action in New York federal court seeking pay equity under the Equal Pay Act and Title VII, which resulted in a favorable settlement.