The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. I strive to place myself in situations where challenge and controversy are the norm, only to exceed past the obstacles for the benefit of my clients.
Neal Townsend is a civil litigation and trial lawyer with extensive experience in trying both plaintiff and defense cases to jury verdict in state and federal courts. Neal concentrates his litigation practice in the areas of construction and architect and engineer professional liability, trucking and transportation, personal injury and wrongful death, property and premises liability, products liability, liquor liability, medical malpractice/healthcare and managed healthcare, and municipalities and governmental liability.
Neal also has significant litigation and trial experience successfully defending corporations, insurers, local and state authorities, and individuals in complex litigation, mediation, arbitration and pre-litigation matters stemming from negligence, catastrophic injury and wrongful death.
Prior to joining Adams and Reese, Neal served as the Civil Law Clerk for Judge Sarah Stewart of the 13th Judicial Circuit of Mobile County and as a Law Clerk for the Mobile County District Attorney’s Office. While a law student, Neal was Scholar of Merit recipient, Dean's List recipient, and a member of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) National Trial Team and the 2011-2012 top-ranked Cumberland School of Law National Trial Team.
- Cumberland School of Law Samford University, J.D., 2012
- University of Alabama, B.A., 2009, with honors
- Alabama Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- Mississippi Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Leadership Mobile, Class of 2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Mississippi State Bar
- Mobile Bar Association, Law Week Committee Member
- Defense Research Institute
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Mobile Chamber of Commerce, Chamber Ambassador
- Mobile Young Lawyers Association
- Mobile Volunteer Lawyers Association
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program
- Knights of Columbus
- Mobile Arts and Sports Association, Inc., Senior Bowl
- Camp Rap-A-Hope, Board of Directors
- Obtained a defense verdict in a two-day jury trial in which a plaintiff sued an Alabama municipality and an employee after allegedly sustaining injuries from an automobile accident that occurred in Mobile County, Alabama.
- Secured a directed verdict after a two-and-a-half day jury trial in which a plaintiff sued an Alabama county after allegedly sustaining injuries from a trip-and-fall incident that occurred at a county-owned marina.
- Obtained a successful ruling and opinion from the Eleventh Circuit, affirming grant of summary judgment in federal district court in the Southern District of Alabama in client’s favor on a class action wage case for a maritime client.
- Successfully obtaining summary judgment for a client in a complex construction defect suit in state court.
- Obtained summary judgment for a client in an automobile accident case which involved an independent contractor issue in state court.
- Obtained a summary judgment in favor of a doctor in connection with a professional negligence lawsuit brought against them by two former patients in Florida state court.
- Obtained successful dismissal of international hotel from a premise liability suit based on procedural deficiencies in state court.
- Obtained several successful dismissals of an international fraternal organization from member suits based on procedural deficiencies in both state and federal court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a corporate real estate development client based on procedural deficiencies in state court.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of an architect against claims of defects related to drainage and its effect on adjoining land owners. Plaintiff asserted a half-million-dollar claim for damages, but the architect won on summary judgment and obtained subsequent dismissal of the plaintiff's appeal.
- Secured a successful settlement on behalf of a law firm in a case involving various business torts committed by a company.
- Successfully obtaining summary judgment in favor of a local municipality in a complex water drainage dispute involving multiple homeowners and plaintiffs.
- Successfully obtaining dismissal of a local municipality from a section 1983 claim brought by a former inmate in Federal Court.
- Secured a successful settlement on behalf of a non-profit company in a case involving various construction defect and breach of contract claims against a construction and bonding company.