For more than 40 years, I have focused my practice on representing institutional and private equity lenders, special servicers, trustees and other interested parties in a wide range of engagements involving CRE, C&I and asset-backed loan administration, workouts and litigation.
In his longstanding commercial litigation practice, Rick Malchon counsels lenders in real estate, construction and asset based loan workouts. He counsels clients on general creditor rights matters and all aspects of Chapter 11 reorganizations and complex Chapter 7 liquidations and also defends lender liability claims. Rick has a Martindale-Hubbell AV rating and is recognized in Best Lawyers® in Bankruptcy and Creditor-Debtor Rights Law.
Rick draws on his extensive background and broad knowledge base to advocate for his clients in the US District Court for the Middle District of Florida and the Southern District of Florida. He serves on the firm’s Claims Counsel Committee and Ethics Committee.
A frequent lecturer, Rick speaks to professional associations and client groups on transaction and finance topics including lender liability, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights and loan workouts. He also shares his legal insights in various publications and is co-author of Florida Mortgage Foreclosures.
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 1974
- Emory University, B.A., 1970
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - St. Petersburg Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization, 2021
- Best Lawyers® - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Tampa Bay's Top Lawyers 2010 - Tampa Bay Magazine
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute (Finance and Banking Committee, INSOL Committee)
- American Bar Association
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- St. Petersburg Bar Association
- Tampa Bay Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association, Florida Chapter
- St. Petersburg Free Clinic, Board of Directors, Treasurer; Property Committee, Chair; Finance Committee, Chair