I represent clients in all types of business and employment matters and related litigation. I have represented business clients in lawsuits throughout my 20-year career, and I enjoy the competitive nature of that work. I also enjoy working with clients on the front end of transactions and advising them on strategic decisions and in negotiating agreements on their behalf. When negotiating business, technology, and employment agreements, I bring a litigator’s eye to my work and can tell a client when I see litigation risk.
Stephen Walsh advises business clients in a broad array of business and litigation matters. Stephen’s litigation experience focuses on matters involving consumer finance, real estate, business contract, employment and professional liability claims, including D&O, E&O and shareholder disputes. He handles cases in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies, such as the EEOC, DOL and OSHA. His employment cases involve all aspects of the employment relationship, Title VII, ADA, FMLA, ADEA, and related state law claims and also include contract disputes, trade secret disputes and covenant-not-to-compete litigation.
Stephen also has extensive experience advising financial services companies (including banks, payment associations, bank card processors and credit unions), manufacturers, construction companies, general contractors, engineering firms and staffing companies throughout the procurement and contract negotiation process. He regularly advises clients in technology transactions and negotiates third-party service provider / vendor agreements for his clients. These agreements include software license agreements, nondisclosure agreements, statements of work, professional services agreements and master agreements for financial services institutions, manufacturers, contractors, engineering firms and staffing companies.
“ I enjoy helping people. That’s why I became a lawyer and why I work every day to help my clients succeed. This involves paying close attention to the details of each case or transaction and making sure that my client’s interests are paramount and diligently cared for. At times, this involves zealous advocacy in the court room, and at others, it involves making sure that all client stakeholders in a transaction have a proper understanding of the associated risks and are kept up to speed at every step in the process. ”
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, B.S., 1995
- University of Alabama Law School, J.D., 1998
Stephen serves on the Board of the Alabama Policy Institute and is a member of Faith Presbyterian Church in Birmingham.
Areas of Practice
- Alabama Super Lawyers®, Civil Litigation Defense and Banking
- “Top Attorneys” - B-Metro and BHM Biz, 2016, 2017
- UAB College of Arts and Sciences, Leadership Council
- Best Lawyers® - Employment Law, Management
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Stephen is a faculty member of the Alabama Bar Institute’s CLE Employment Law Planning Committee and also serves on the UAB College of Arts and Sciences Leadership Council. In 2009, he was also awarded the Outstanding Alumnus Award by the UAB School of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. He is also involved with the Alabama Bankers Association, Alabama Association of General Contractors and the Alabama Trucking Association. He is also on the Board of Editors for Alabama Lawyer.
- Significant experience negotiating software license, service provider agreements, and contracts and advising clients on vendor management issues and strategies.
- Director and officer liability and errors and omissions claim litigation.
- His role as lead attorney in the representation of mortgage companies, brokers, and loan servicers in litigation and arbitration throughout the Southeast.
- Defense of consumer class actions and bankruptcy adversary proceedings.
- Representation of businesses in trade secret and non-compete litigation.
- Representation of manufacturing, construction, and trucking companies and financial institutions in employment and commercial litigation.
- Advising companies on labor and employment matters and representing employers in litigation, arbitration, and mediation with current and former employees and various administrative agencies.