My father was seriously wounded in World War II and overcame significant physical challenges to lead a productive career and be a fantastic husband and father. He taught me to never give up. I bring that life lesson to my work for clients. I focus on their objectives and work tenaciously to achieve the best possible outcome.
Susan E. Mack has a national practice advising life, health and property/casualty insurers, brokers, general agents and administrators on insurance regulatory and other legal issues. Skilled in corporate governance, she advises on forming and licensing new insurers and on insurance-related deals. A veteran of more than 110 alternative dispute resolution proceedings, she has worked both as a party-appointed and neutral arbitrator to conclude financial services disputes. With 25 years’ experience as general counsel to insurance and reinsurance companies and having served as chief claims officer and chief contracts officer to these companies, Susan brings a practical perspective to the resolution of her clients’ insurance-related issues.
She has substantial experience addressing insurance and corporate compliance concerns, having served as
Noted for her experience in insurance and reinsurance arbitration, Susan was one of the founders of ARIAS-US, a premier insurance
Susan has delivered more than 60 presentations on issues ranging from complex reinsurance claims, aggregation, occurrence, and allocation to annuity reinsurance and life securitization.
- What's Happening in Our Legal Practices Due to COVID-19, Association of Corporate Counsel North Florida Virtual Presentation, Sept. 24, 2020
- COVID-19 & Its Impact on the (Re)Insurance Industry, IRUA, June 25, 2020
- The Changing Environment of Life Insurance and Reinsurance Arbitrations in 2019, Society of Actuaries Annual Meeting, October 20, 2019
- The Life Reinsurance Partnership- Is It Headed for a Breakup, ARIAS-US Annual Meeting, October 3, 2019
- The Umpire Master Class, ARIAS-US Annual Meeting Panel Presentation Teaching Session, October 2, 2019
- 9th Annual Arbitrator Roundtable, Massachusetts Insurance and Reinsurance Bar Association, September 25, 2019
- Disputes within the Dispute: What are Arbitrators Doing about it?, New York City Reinsurance Forum, September 19,2019
- Life Insurance Industry Arbitration Practice, Association of Life Reinsurance Counsel- Compliance and Legal Sections regarding, July 2019
- Do I Qualify? Navigating the Life Requirement in Arbitration Clauses”, ARIAS-US Spring 2019 Conference at The Breakers, Palm Beach, May 2019
- Umpire and Arbitrator Master Class, ARIAS-US Annual Meeting 2018, Instructor
- Emergency First Aid: How to Quickly Resolve Hearing “Burns,”
ARIAS USAnnual Meeting-Panel Presentation, November 8, 2018
- The Umpire Master Class, ARIAS US Annual Meeting-Panel Presentation Teaching Session, November 7, 2018
- Til Death Do Us Part-Issues Troubling the Long-Term Partnership Between Life Insurers and their Reinsurers; ARIAS-US Webinar, October 18, 2018
- Arbitration Awards Assailable or Written in Stone? ACC North Florida Chapter Winter 2021
- Property and Liability Insurance Coverage Issues Presented by COVID-19, Journal of Reinsurance 2020
- A Look at the Impact of ARIAS US, ARIAS US Quarterly - Fourth Quarter 2019
- Symposium: How Changing Technology has Affected Arbitrations, ARIAS US Quarterly-Second Quarter 2019
- Resolving Urgent Threats to an Arbitration’s Viability and Integrity, 2019 ARIAS-US First Quarter/Quarterly Newsletter
- What is Captive Insurance and Why Should I Care?, Association of Corporate Counsel (North Florida) Newsletter, First Quarter 2019•
- Evolution of the Species-Facultative Certificate Expenses from Bellefonte vs. Aetna to Global Reins. Corp. of Am. v. Century Indem. Co., 2018 Vol. 24. No. 2; Journal of Reinsurance, published by the Intermediaries and Reinsurance Underwriter Association
- Mastering Life Reinsurance: A Guide for the Property/Casualty Industry Professional, 2015 Vol. 25, No. 17 Mealey’s Litigation Reports-Reinsurance
- Five Pragmatic Tips-Conducting Effective Internal Investigations, ACC North Florida Chapter Newsletter, Second Quarter 2016
- The Reinsurance Claims Executive’s Corner: Treaty Clauses: Extra-Contractual Obligations Clause, Journal of Reinsurance, 2015 – Volume 22 – Number 1
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1982
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1979
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated - Martindale-Hubbell
- American Arbitration Society, Commercial Arbitrator
- ARIAS-US, Umpire and Arbitrator
- ARIAS –US, Qualified Mediator
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
Maintaining close ties to the Jacksonville corporate counsel community, Susan is a co-founder and past president of the North Florida Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel and vice president and programs chair of Jacksonville Women’s Network. In the community, she is a board member, governance chair and director of the Seamark Ranch residential facility for children and is a graduate of Leadership Jacksonville.
As to the insurance industry, she is the former chair of the American Council of Life Insurers’ reinsurance committee as well as co-founder and former chair of the life committee of the Reinsurance Association of America. She is a former director and present member of the Association of Life Insurance Counsel, a group of life/health senior counsel and their retained counsel.
She is a member of the Journal of Reinsurance’s industry advisory board.
She serves on the ethics committee of ARIAS US.
Susan was elected Chair Elect of the Board of the Seamark Ranch residential facility for children in need.
- Closed a sophisticated in-force annuity reinsurance transaction between a fraternal benefit society and an Arizona-based reinsurer. In addition to drafting the annuity coinsurance funds withheld contract, Susan collaborated with the client to arrive at an advantageous Investment Management Agreement.
- Concluding insurer stock and asset acquisitions, insurer affiliations and joint ventures and forming and licensing new insurers, including assisting her corporate clients with necessary integration efforts.
- Assessing and mitigating cyber-security exposures and evaluating technology contracts to assist clients with their in-house and outsourced technology solutions.
- Serving as a corporate governance advisor to organizations needing such assistance.