Bill West concentrates his practice in state regulatory issues and civil litigation, primarily related to health care.
Bill has a wide range of experience in developing innovative regulatory and litigation strategies for clients.
These experiences have included utilizing the Tennessee Sunshine Act to restore PPO provider status for a client physician; successfully prosecuting a federal preemption challenge to state air ambulance regulations; and serving as lead counsel in a successful outcome in a class action injunctive relief and damages suit tried to conclusion under the federal Fair Housing Act.
Bill has also been involved in hundreds of Tennessee Certificate of Need matters over the course of his career.
Bill has recognized by clients and peers among the top health care attorneys in Nashville, being recognized among The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005.
Bill has been active in leadership roles throughout his close to 40-year career in health care law, leading the Tennessee Health Facilities Commission as both former executive director and general counsel. He was the first chair of the administrative law section of the Tennessee Bar Association.
- Vanderbilt University, M.B.A., 1986
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 1976
- Yale University, B.A., 1972
- United States Supreme Court
Areas of Practice
- The Best Lawyers in America® since 2005, Health Care Law
- Mid-South Super Lawyers (2012-2014), Health Care Law
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Health Law Association
- American Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association – Original Chair, Administrative Law Section (2007-2008)
- Nashville Bar Association
- Tennessee Health Facilities Commission – Former Executive Director (1986-1987); Former General Counsel (1985-1986)