Adams and Reese advises clients on the negotiation and drafting of design, engineering and constructions contracts, compliance with construction codes and regulations and disputes arising from construction, engineering and design defects, product failure, warranty claims, breach of contract claims and allegations of fraud. With a national ranking in Construction Law in U.S. News – Best Lawyers Best Law Firms ranking (2018, U.S News & World Report and Best Lawyers® (by Levine Leichtman Capital Partners)), our team represents builders, developers, contractors, architects, engineers, surveyors and related design professionals and their insurers in matters related to construction design as well as contract administration of construction projects.
We have handled complex and multi-party disputes regarding the design and development of roadways, industrial facilities, hospitals, commercial properties and residential and public-private construction projects.
- Industrial. We are currently representing a Fortune 100 multinational manufacturer in litigation of a contract dispute involving the construction of industrial-size processing vessels used to refine heavy metals.
- Engineering. Adams and Reese construction litigators represented the structural engineer of a 40-story commercial building with alleged defects in design related to cladding material. In pre-trial discovery, our team confirmed that the engineer had included specifications regarding the appropriate expansion grout which the contractor had not implemented in the construction process. The engineer was found not responsible for any of the $5 million remediation costs.
- Design-build contractor. Our team successfully defended a design-build contractor in a two-week final arbitration hearing against claims in excess of $100 million arising out of the design and construction of a large industrial warehouse.
- Landscape architect. The Adams and Reese Construction Team secured dismissal prior to trial of a case involving a landscape architect who designed a sprinkler system for a municipality. The sprinklers brought water on a roadway which caused a fatal motor vehicle collision. But we demonstrated that the municipality’s maintenance workers had damaged the sprinkler system which then caused the flow of water to the roadway.
We make sure that we fully understand our client’s business goals, and we manage our work to those goals. Also, we pride ourselves on being hyper-responsive to client inquiries, with a call-back the same day.
– David Toney, Construction Practice Leader
We represent the full range of actors in the construction industry: contractors, sub-contractors, product manufacturers, materials suppliers, private landowners, municipalities and other political subdivisions, public utilities, developers, buyers and sellers, lenders, architects, engineers, in construction matters and litigation.
The Adams and Reese Construction Team includes a former state commissioner of insurance, attorneys who have served as in-house counsel for insurers, as well as AAA-certified arbitrators who have served as arbitrators in numerous construction disputes. With these skilled professionals and a team tightly integrated across our regional footprint, we are able to quickly mobilize people who know the local and state environment, the latest regulatory requirements and the proper defense, ADR or appellate strategies to bring disputes to resolution.