BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast brings together regional business, government and legal leaders to discuss what's new and what's next for commerce in the Southeast.
Each episode, you'll hear an in-depth discussion on issues involving trade, economic development, government, business and transportation/logistics. We explore how these drivers shape our unique regional economy, and we explore how trends and changes might affect business operations throughout the Southeast in the years to come.
Season 2 Episode List
- Episode 1: Road to Recovery: The Revitalization of Restaurants
As vaccines bring the promise of a return to normalcy, restaurants look ahead to what the future holds. Internationally renowned chef and restaurateur John Folse and Stan Harris, President and CEO of the Louisiana Restaurant Association, join Chris Kane for a discussion about how the restaurant industry is looking beyond COVID and how the $28.6 billion Restaurant Revitalization Fund will play a role in recovery efforts.
- Episode 2: Mega Sporting Events are Super for the Economy
New Orleans will play host again to the Final Four (2022) and then the Super Bowl (2025). Cities that bid on major sporting events not only boost the tourism sector but also provide a substantial economic injection for the city and region. Jay Cicero, President/CEO, Jeff Rossi, SVP of Events, and Phillip Sherman, Chairman, of the Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation join host Chris Kane for a discussion on how these major sporting events come about, stimulate jobs, reinvigorate the host city’s image, and generate business revenue while still recovering from COVID.
- Episode 3: Anchors Aweigh: U.S.S. Mobile Sets New Economic Course for the Gulf South
Bradley Byrne, former U.S. Representative for Alabama's 1st Congressional District, joins Chris Kane for a discussion on the U.S.S. Mobile, the economic incentives it brought to the Gulf South region, and what’s next for the shipbuilding industry in the United States.
Season 1 Episode List
- Episode 13: Silver Linings in a Season of Thanks in the last episode of season 1 we take a look back at 2020 and ahead to commerce-related developments for Q4 and 2021 in our final episode of Season 1 of Boom! Chris Kane joins Michael Hecht, President and CEO of Greater New Orleans, Inc., and Todd Murphy, President of the Jefferson Parish Chamber of Commerce, for a recap of the past year, looking at the bright side as well as challenges we overcame.
- Episode 12: M-m-m-my Corona! Live Music and Recording Industry During the COVID-19 Pandemic In Episode 12, award-winning record producers and engineers Chuck Ainlay and Jeff Balding talk with Chris Kane about how COVID-19 has impacted the recording and live music industries. After decades of transformative change in these industries, learn how technology is shaping music recording and production and live music events in the midst of the pandemic. Chuck and Jeff share how artists are approaching recording new music safely in Nashville studios and explain the challenges of streaming events to promote new music and generate revenue in this new, uncertain climate.
- Episode 11: Game Time? The Return of Sports and What It Means for Athletes and Fans In Episode 11 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Nashville’s Brent Dougherty, co-host of 3HL on 104.5 The Zone, and Larry Holder, New Orleans sports columnist for The Athletic, talk to Brad Lampley and Chris Kane about the challenges of the return of fall sports across the Southeast as professional, college and high school leagues are starting their seasons, as well as what the fan experience might be like.
- Episode 10: New School Year, New Normal: Balancing Education and Public Safety In Episode 10, Chresal Threadgill, Superintendent of the Mobile County Public Schools System, talks to Chris Kane and Suntrease Williams-Maynard about the challenges that students and administrators face as we approach a new school year in the “new normal.”
- Episode 9: Robin Autopilot CEO Talks About Innovation, Social Enterprise and COVID-19 Challenges In Episode 9 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Logan Fahey, CEO for Robin Autopilots, talks with Chris Kane and Andrew McBride for a discussion on social enterprise, the innovation behind Robin Autopilots and how the market is shaping during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Episode 8: Investment in America’s Infrastructure: How Tennessee is Approaching Challenges and Solutions In Episode 8 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Senator Becky Massey, Chair of the Tennessee Senate Transportation and Safety Committee, joins Brad Lampley and Chris Kane as we learn more about the infrastructure challenges and solutions in the state of Tennessee.
- Episode 7: Acting Administrator for USDA Rural Business-Cooperative Service Talks About $1 Billion B&I CARES Act Loan Program In Episode 7 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Mark Brodziski, Acting Administrator for Rural Business-Cooperative Service at the USDA, joins Michael Berson and Chris Kane of Adams and Reese as we learn more about the USDA’s Business & Industry (B&I) Cares Act Program, which was rolled in late May as part of the CARES Act and how it’s helping rural businesses have access to capital during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Episode 6: Gary Brantley talks COVID-19, Remote Workforces and Cities of the Future In Episode 6 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Gary Brantley, Chief Information Officer for the City of Atlanta, joins Roy Hadley and Chris Kane of Adams and Reese talk about the role that technology has in helping cities and governments respond to the COVID-19 crisis as well as the role technology will have in shaping cities of the future.
- Episode 5: Mayor Benjamin Talks COVID-19 Response and the Booming City of Columbia In Episode 5 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, Mayor Steve Benjamin joins LaJoia Broughton and Chris Kane of Adams and Reese for a discussion about lessons learned from the City of Columbia during the COVID-19 pandemic as well as what’s next for the booming City of Columbia in regards to social and economic development projects.
- Episode 4: Coronavirus & The New Normal: Balancing A Return To Work And Public Health In Episode 4 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, city and chamber of commerce representatives from Nashville Tennessee, Jefferson Parish Louisiana and Columbia South Carolina speak with Adams and Reese attorney Chris Kane about what the next few months may look like from a perspective of balancing a return to work and public health.
- Episode 3: Looking Above and Ahead: Commercial Drones in the Southeast
In Episode 3 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, we take a look above and ahead at the growing use of commercial drones throughout the Southeast. This episode covers how drones are being used today, what types of regulations are in place, what regulatory and public perception hurdles are preventing further adoption of commercial drones and where the drone industry is expected to expand in the future.
- Episode 2: TechSC and its Plan to Help Grow the Tech Community in South Carolina
Episode 2 of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast takes us to Columbia, South Carolina, where we learn more about South Carolina's statewide initiative aimed at driving technology growth and innovation. You'll hear about how virtually every company has become a technology company, given the amounts of data they store, as well as the inherent cybersecurity risks for all types of companies in today's interconnected world.
- Episode 1: From Port to Airport: New Orleans Economic and Trade Trends
The inaugural episode of BOOM! The Southeastern Commerce Podcast, features a discussion centered on the infrastructure and economic development in New Orleans. You’ll hear about the city’s job growth, New Orleans’ new airport, the effect of trade wars on the economy and trade, infrastructure challenges and an update on the Public Belt railroad.