My goal is to help clients overcome the legal challenges that may arise in acquisitions, expansions, and major deals. It is an honor to be in a position where my knowledge and experience can help our clients succeed by avoiding or solving issues so they can focus on what matters most – driving revenue and growing their business.
Brian Pugh advises businesses on various matters, including acquisitions and sales, real estate transactions, contracts, and entity formation. Brian works closely with his clients across many industries to help them navigate the legalities of establishing and managing corporations and limited liability companies by advising on the structure, management, and operation of their companies and subsidiary entities. Brian has represented shareholders in litigation related to ownership of shares and entity control. Additionally, he advises on complex business deals that involve drafting, negotiating and editing contractual agreements with his clients’ customers including Master Supplier Agreements, Master Service Agreements and Vendor Managed Inventory (VMI) agreements, as well as contractual agreements with his clients’ important suppliers, subcontractors and vendors. Brian has extensive experience with Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Agreements, which are very important in modern business, especially when sensitive or emerging technology is involved or a potential transaction is being evaluated.
Brian has been practicing law for more than 20 years. Before joining Adams and Reese, he was in private practice for 12 years, which included founding and managing his own law firm. He also served as in-house General Counsel for two corporations for over nine years. As in-house counsel for an Alabama-based corporation, he advised the Officers and drafted the transaction documents that completed six successful acquisition of assets deals. Brian also provided legal services concerning government relations and economic development involving sales tax abatements for new projects.
In his real estate practice, Brian assists clients in purchasing or leasing commercial real estate properties, including warehouses, retail space, office buildings, undeveloped land, and special-purpose property. He has drafted, edited, and negotiated commercial lease agreements for manufacturing operations, warehouse distribution operations, retail, and restaurant operations across the Southeast and Midwestern U.S. Brian takes pride in strongly advocating for the best purchase or lease terms for his clients. Brian has provided counsel with regard to large and small construction projects involving renovations to commercial buildings and the construction of new commercial properties. He has enjoyed providing legal advice and other contributions to several interesting historic restoration projects in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.
Brian assists clients in a broad range of insurance-related matters, including defense litigation, coverage analysis, market analysis, and the filing, documentation, and resolution of insurance claims, including two hurricane damage claims.
Brian’s labor and employment law experience includes drafting, editing, and negotiating employment agreements, independent contractor agreements, non-disclosure agreements, non-competition agreements, and severance agreements. He regularly counsels on employee relations issues pertaining to termination and compliance. He also has advised and assisted employers with workers’ compensation claims, specifically in the defense of those claims while working in cooperation with staff counsel for major insurance companies. Brian has successfully objected to false and fraudulent unemployment claims and defended employers against false claims filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He has experience providing legal advice to a 100% employee-owned company and assisting with the documents related to their Employee Stock Ownership Plans (E.S.O.P.).
Brian’s zeal for mediation has led to his strong track record of success during informal settlement discussions with opposing counsel, mediation, and other dispute resolution processes. He has participated in many mediations that have resulted in favorable settlements that eliminated future litigation costs for his clients.
- University of Alabama, J.D., 1999
- University of South Alabama, B.A., 1996
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Brian is actively involved in coaching youth sports throughout the Mobile, Alabama community.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama State Bar
- Manufacture Alabama
- Mobile Bar Association
- Representation of a manufacturer and distributor in a deal involving the purchase of several pieces of manufacturing machinery and related assets in Texas and the leasing of a 30,000 square foot manufacturing facility in Texas.
- Representation of a new limited liability company with regard to establishing the new limited liability company, and then the purchase by the new company of the assets of a machinery manufacturer in Indiana and the leasing of a commercial building in Indiana.
- Representation of a manufacturer and distributor in the purchase of assets from a smaller distributor and the leasing of a commercial building in Mississippi.
- Representation of a manufacturer and distributor in a deal involving the purchase of manufacturing machinery and related assets in Florida and the leasing of a 50,000 square foot manufacturing, warehouse, office and retail facility.
- Representation of a rapidly growing company in negotiations and drafting or editing of commercial leases for several warehouse/retail locations in Florida, two locations in Alabama, a location in Mississippi and Tennessee.
Economic Development Projects and Tax Credits
- Representation of an expanding company with regard to new project sales tax and land tax abatements. Assisted with a construction contract and builder’s risk insurance and financing for the project involving the construction of a new 30,000 square foot building in Southern Alabama.
- Assisted in the establishment of a new limited liability company. Provided counsel on project sales tax abatements, land tax abatements, a construction contract, builder’s risk insurance and financing for the project involving the construction of a new 10,000 square foot building and the purchase and installation of specialized equipment in Southern Alabama.
- Provided counsel on the legal issues related to line of credit financing.
- Assisted clients with legal issues related to the re-financing of loans for commercial real estate and equipment.