I always approach my clients cases from a practical business management standpoint. Being a litigator requires discipline, efficiency, creativity, organization and ongoing clear communication. I collaborate with my clients and provide them with the best insight and analysis possible so they can make informed decisions about the direction they want to take.
Recognized by several attorney rating services for his service to clients and with more than three decades of experience, Charlie Cerise handles maritime, toxic tort, environmental, oil and gas, contracts, casualty, insurance and products liability litigation.
Charlie litigates offshore energy cases, including complex limitation of liability actions, pipeline, well, and other asset damage. In addition, he advocates for clients in environmental contamination and exposure cases including complex, multi-party and class action litigation and litigates contract disputes.
Charlie’s multifaceted practice also encompasses Louisiana state law personal injury and death, property damage, and contract litigation, pipeline explosion, Jones Act and general maritime law issues, third-party asset and loss of use damage, collision, vessel seizure, products liability injury, redhibition, and significant injury and death litigation.
Charlie previously served as a litigation practice group leader, a liaison partner to the firm associates and as a partner-in-charge of the New Orleans office.
Charlie values pro bono work and community involvement. He is actively involved in the firm’s HUGS (Hope, Understanding, Giving, and Support) program. Charlie and his wife are active supporters of various New Orleans civic and charitable programs.
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1983
- University of New Orleans, B.S., 1981
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Admiralty and Maritime Law, Commercial Litigation, Litigation – Environmental, Oil and Gas Law, Product Liability Litigation – Defendants
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Transportation and Maritime 2007-2013, 2017-2019, 2021-2022
- Leadership in Law - New Orleans CityBusiness, 2006
- Benchmark Litigation® – Local Litigation Star (Louisiana)
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter (Board of Directors, 1994-1999)
- Defense Research Institute