My deep reserve of knowledge and decades of experience enhance my ability to advocate for clients and their business interests in court or at the negotiating table. I understand the complicated business, industry, regulatory landscape in which they operate and the ever-evolving challenges they face, and collaborate with them to design and implement policies to prevent problems. I also help them resolve existing conflicts in a way that produces optimal outcomes.
Gregg Barrios focuses his practice and counsels clients on the multifaceted issues that arise from extracting oil from the ocean. He litigates energy, marine and environmental/toxic tort cases, as well as commercial, product liability, transportation, class action and complex litigation matters.
Gregg advises clients who encounter personal injury and property damage claims for energy, oil and gas, and maritime incidents, collisions, towage, oil pollution, limitation of liability, construction, contract and other disputes. He also counsels clients on RICO, anti-trust and unfair competition, constitutional matters and marine and energy insurance coverage issues in federal and state courts in Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas, Alabama, Georgia and Florida. Gregg is routinely retained as appellate counsel across the firm's footprint in cases involving significant maritime, oilfield/refinery and other complex litigation matters, including product liability, environmental/toxic tort, construction, contract, and insurance issues.
Drawing on 30 years of delivering legal service, Gregg helps clients develop strategies to minimize risk and avoid litigation expenses. This includes creating formal risk management and compliance programs, incident reporting systems, and contractual risk allocation.
Gregg has served as leader of the firm's marine and energy practice team, chair of the ethics committee and member of the regional expansion and retirement committees. He is a former Chair of the ABA’s Admiralty and Maritime Law Committee and has had his articles published in several legal publications.
As a host family for the Archdiocese of New Orleans’ Catholic Charities, Gregg and his wife Shari house and care for newborn babies before they’re adopted.
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1990
- Tulane University, B.A., 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Law League of Louisiana Merit Award at Loyola University School of Law
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Leadership Lafourche, Class of 2012