Whatever success I have I share with the partners in my firm and the young lawyers working for me. They know that getting deals done fairly and cost-effectively comes from not only knowing the law and business but from cultivating and nurturing relationships with clients and the other lawyers we deal with. As a team, we work hard to establish and maintain a reputation for being smart, practical and reasonable.
David Johnson has advised clients in the United States and around the world on business transactions and financing for more than 30 years. His work includes domestic and multinational mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, domestic and international joint ventures and strategic alliances, and all types of transactions for rapidly growing business entities. David has extensive experience advising closely held and family-owned businesses regarding succession planning as well as the transactions and business restructuring which results from such planning.
He has advised on numerous middle-market transactions, including hospital joint ventures, mergers of large companies that involved antitrust issues and the establishment of LLC joint ventures, negotiating and documenting credit agreements, and the closure of large loan facilities. David has advised on financing deals involving a full range of funding and financing vehicles, including equity/debt venture capital financing (public and private), mortgage and asset backed securities, multi-party lending and participation, GO and conduit bond financing and letters of credit, oil and gas related acquisitions/financings, and production-payment based financing. He also advises public companies on SEC regulation and reporting and public/private legal due diligence.
- University of Alabama School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of Alabama, B.A., 1980
- District of Columbia
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year- Mobile Mergers and Acquisitions Law , 2019, 2022
- Best Lawyers® - Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Corporate Law, 2018
- Chambers USA - Corporate/Commercial
- Alabama Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Corporate Governance & Compliance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Securities & Corporate Finance 2013-2014
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Bond Buyers (Redbook) Listed Counsel
- Representation of a high-performance material manufacturer in its $170 million sale to a private equity firm, including diligence, tax structuring, HSR and related advice and counsel, and the drafting of complex acquisition agreement and related closing documents.
- Represented the U.S. subsidiary of a Japanese trading company as primary borrower in an $850 million global operating facility collateralized with deep water Gulf of Mexico and North Sea production payments.
- Represented a private cable television infrastructure borrower in a $20M construction and operating line of credit with regulatory letter of credit facility, secured by accounts receivable and real property facilities.
- Represented an oil and gas industry service provider in collateralizing its receipt of a $25 million payment for services rendered by conveyance of an overriding royalty interest in oil and gas assets.