Closing transactions effectively and efficiently
Bill McElveen has a diverse real estate development and banking and finance practice, serving clients throughout the Southeast. With more than 30 years of experience, Bill advises private equity firms, REITs and local real estate developers on a variety of projects including office, hotel
He also counsels clients on commercial lending matters. Bill serves as counsel to national and regional banks, life insurance companies and other institutional lenders on office and retail development projects, industrial facilities, asset-based financings, credit enhancements to support bond financing, dormitory
With a practice evenly divided between real estate development and commercial lending, Bill brings an understanding of key issues in a real estate deal from both the developer’s and the lender’s perspectives.
Bill received his J.D. from the University of South Carolina School of Law in 1984, and he earned his Bachelor of Science in Accounting from the University of South Carolina in 1980.
“ I get a special satisfaction with deals involving brownfield sites or the rehabilitation of historic properties. It’s rewarding to guide clients through a process which enables them to reclaim something and make it useable and valuable again. ”
- University of South Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1984
- University of South Carolina, B.S., 1980
- South Carolina
- South Carolina
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
Bill previously served on the boards of Hammond School and Junior Achievement of the Midlands.
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers® - Banking and Finance Law, Real Estate Law
- South Carolina Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Real Estate, Banking 2008-2009, 2014-2018, 2020, 2022
- Legal Elite of the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly, 2017, 2020
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year - Banking and Finance Law, 2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
An active member of the South Carolina Bar, Bill is a member of the Corporate, Banking and Securities Section and the Real Estate Practices Section – of which he is a past chair. He currently serves on the Executive Committee of the Midlands Business Leadership Group and previously served on the board of the Columbia Chamber of Commerce.
Bill's additional experience includes:
- Rehabilitation of two vacant department store buildings to create a multi-level office building, art museum
- Conversion of a historic downtown office tower to residential apartments utilizing conventional bank financing and tax credit financing.
- Development of waterfront multifamily projects in Columbia, SC, Charlotte, NC and Nashville, TN.
- Developer counsel on a planned
mixed useproject in Columbia, SC, to include multifamily, hotel and office uses.
- Bank counsel on numerous
tax exemptloans to hospitals, educational institutions andvarious non-profit organizations.
- Bank counsel on secured credit facilities to support acquisition and development activities for a regional homebuilder on projects in several states in the Southeast.
- Counsel for a national agricultural lender on securitized loans for properties located throughout the Southeast.