While virtually every business has employees and encounters labor and employment issues, our team understands that every business is different. We know there are no cookie-cutter solutions to workplace challenges. We cultivate close relationships with our clients, constantly track regulatory and legislative changes in the ever-evolving employment area, and help them craft and implement workplace policies that foster productive work environments and simultaneously minimize risk.
When issues do arise, we deliver quick, practical advice in a matter of days, if not hours. And when litigation is filed, clients say they value our ability to defeat the claim outright or minimize the damages with tactical and creative strategies.
Here are a few examples of the areas in which we serve clients:
- Across the country, employers have seen a wave of wage and hour lawsuits involving overtime and compensation, often filed as collective actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). Some cases comprise hundreds of employees, and
othersthousands, in extremely high-stakes litigation that threaten to cost companies millions of dollars, which can cripple them. We have handled many of these complex cases, resulting in either rulingsin our clients’ favor or reductions of multimillion-dollar demands.
- In light of the recent national awareness regarding workplace harassment and discrimination, we have partnered with clients to ensure that their policies are comprehensive and clearly written to help prevent harassment from occurring in the first place. We also have helped them with training their managers and employees about what constitutes sexual harassment, what they should do if they witness it, and who they should report it to so the company can take fast and decisive remedial action.
- Our team counsels clients about issues centering on compensation disparity between different classes of employees, yet another emerging area of growing national awareness. We have helped clients conduct pay audits, identify pay discrepancies before they become a problem and take corrective action to prevent these lawsuits.
Our team does all we can to know everything about our clients and their businesses, including boots-on-the-ground site visits, when circumstances warrant it. When we see a business in person, we get the full picture and can better serve the individualized needs of our clients.
The knowledge and experience of our attorneys
We serve clients at regionally competitive rates and embrace the use of alternative fee arrangements. Additionally, with talented, experienced attorneys in offices across the South, Southeast and in Washington, D.C., we offer clients one-stop shopping for all of their businesses’ needs.
We counsel clients on a wide range of matters, including:
- Regulatory Representation: We navigate through the myriad and often-changing rules and regulations about job discrimination, union avoidance, overtime, family and medical leave, job safety, federal contract compliance, affirmative action
andthe Davis-Bacon and Service Contract Acts.
- Benefits Design and Compliance: We prepare and administer qualified and nonqualified retirement plans and fringe benefits plans.
- Union Negotiation and Disputes: We negotiate collective bargaining agreements and represent employers in union grievances, arbitrations and in NLRB unfair labor practice charges.
- Litigation and ADR: We litigate every type of labor and employment claim. We go to trial when necessary but also seek
alternatedispute resolution when appropriate. We know our clients are not in the business of litigation, and we are always mindful of the costs of litigation, financial and otherwise.
- Business Immigration: We assist businesses and their employees in obtaining, strategizing, and complying with work visas, investor visas, employment-based green cards, permanent residence for talented individuals, and other immigration documentation.