I focus on how cybersecurity and data privacy are shaping my clients’ businesses. I help organizations of all sizes manage and safeguard consumer data by identifying, explaining and guarding against regulatory and litigation risks.
Amy L. Hanna Keeney, CIPP/US, has an in-depth understanding of privacy and data protection. Clients look to Amy to ensure their software, websites and apps comply with the latest data privacy regulations. She regularly provides regulatory counseling to ensure her clients are collecting consent properly and protecting sensitive consumer data appropriately.
Her experience includes counseling app and software developers regarding compliance with state and federal privacy regulations, including biometric data regulations such as the Illinois Biometric Privacy Act (BIPA) and the federal Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). She also has experience counseling organizations of all sizes, including banks and financial services providers, regarding compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA).
Amy has been closely monitoring developments relating to the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) since its inception. She closely follows updates in this area and is focused on what’s happening in the market to ensure her clients are aware of changes that could affect their operations.
Amy also evaluates third-party vendor contracts to ensure clients are properly protecting against the risk associated with external access to and use of consumer data. If a client’s data is compromised, Amy leads the legal response in the aftermath and works to coordinate timely notification of the affected individuals, regulatory bodies and public.
Further, Amy is an experienced litigator who has defended businesses in state and federal litigation throughout the Southeast. After spending years litigating and counseling financial services clients in the wake of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, Amy’s experience enables her to address not only compliance issues, but also litigation risks a client could face for non-compliance.
Amy is the Pro Bono Chair of the firm’s Atlanta office and a proud supporter of the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- University of Florida, B.S., 2007, Journalism, magna cum laude
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Georgia Court of Appeals
Areas of Practice
- Georgia Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Consumer Law 2017-2019
- Florida Law Review, Executive Editor
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Commercial Real Estate Women: Atlanta (CREW Atlanta)
- American Legal & Financial Network (ALFN)
- Junior Professionals and Executives group (JPEG)
- ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- Thomson Reuters’ NextGen Leadership: Advancing Lawyers of Color, Advisory Board
- Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys (“LIWOCA”), CLE Committee