Amy L. Hanna Keeney, CIPP/US, is the firm’s Financial Services Regulatory and Compliance Team Leader. She has extensive experience helping banks, credit unions, and non-bank financial service providers of all sizes launch and service new financial products, and she helps them navigate the increasingly complex regulatory landscape for fintech services and products.
Additionally, Amy is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP) and has an in-depth understanding of financial privacy rights and how those rights impact a financial institution or service provider’s third-party risk management program. Amy frequently assists financial institutions and service providers with assessing the potential regulatory risk created by a new product or service.
Amy also has extensive experience counseling financial institutions and service providers regarding compliance with federal and state consumer protection statutes and regulations, including the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), and the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Amy is a Young Lawyer Liaison with the American Bar Association Fair Access to Services Subcommittee. The group is a subcommittee of ABA's Consumer Financial Services Committee, a professional development and relationship building forum that interacts with regulators, consumer advocates, and industry attorneys, and discusses best practices and emerging trends that are affecting all players in the consumer financial services industry.
Amy is the Pro Bono Chair of the firm’s Atlanta office and a proud supporter of the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation. In her spare time, Amy is an avid home cook.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- University of Florida, B.S., 2007, Journalism, magna cum laude
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Georgia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- Georgia Supreme Court
Areas of Practice
- Georgia Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Consumer Law, Technology Transactions 2017-2023
- Florida Law Review, Executive Editor
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American Bar Association, Fair Access to Services Subcommittee - Young Lawyer Liaison
- ANSI-accredited Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US)
- Thomson Reuters’ NextGen Leadership: Advancing Lawyers of Color, Advisory Board
Leadership Institute for Women of Color Attorneys (IWOCA), CLE Committee
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
- Atlanta Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
Financial Services Regulation and Compliance
- Assisted several financial institutions with risk assessment and due diligence related to new consumer products and services, relationships with fintechs, and providing Banking-as-a-Service
- Created and assisted with implementation of financial institution’s third-party vendor management policy
- Assisted financial services provider with efforts to bring in-person application process online
- Assisted financial services startup with assessment of risk exposure related to expanding business throughout U.S.
- Assisted financial services startup with recommendations related to state licensure throughout U.S.
- Served as outside consumer regulatory counsel for several financial institutions and service providers and provided real-time counsel regarding various operational issues involving federal consumer financial protection regulations
- Created and assisted with implementation of financial institution’s enterprise-wide data retention policy
- Assisted financial institution with comprehensive revamp of its consumer dispute processing platform, including detailed review of dispute processing policies pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Regulation X, Regulation Z, and Regulation E
- Assisted financial services provider with review and revamp of its Anti-Money Laundering and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) policy
- Reviewed several financial institutions’ standard initial and annual privacy notices for compliance with the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act and state financial privacy statutes
- Counseled financial services provider during its efforts to stand up a text and email notification program that is compliant with federal and state privacy statutes
- Revamped financial institution’s policy regarding release of financial data pursuant to federal Right to Financial Privacy Act and created forms for implementation thereof
- Assisted financial services provider with efforts to revamp its information security program to address FTC Safeguards Rule
- Assisted financial services provider with comprehensive audit of its credit reporting and credit reporting dispute processing policies and practices
- Guided national tech company through acquisition of startup app platform geared toward acquiring child data and assisted client with analysis of application of Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and The COPPA Rule to data acquired by acquisition
Data Breach Response
- Counseled several organizations of varying sizes through data breach incidents, including incident analysis and breach containment, incident disclosure (i.e., notification in compliance with all regulatory requirements), loss mitigation and remediation
Financial Services Litigation
- Successfully voided a three-year-old $300,000 default judgment obtained by consumer against a national mortgage servicing client in South Georgia
- Successfully defended a national mortgage lender in a lawsuit involving an erroneous legal description within a valuable REO parcel's chain of title by obtaining summary judgment in lender's favor on negligence, gross negligence, and unfair business practices claims
- Successfully defended a national bank against a consumer's FCRA claim by obtaining summary judgment in bank's favor and addressing issue of first impression in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- Successfully defended national indirect auto lender against tort claim brought by consumer arising out of lender's alleged violation of automatic stay