I don’t take a one-size-fits-all approach to litigation. I collaborate with my client at the outset to identify their objectives and concerns. Then I develop and implement a strategy and plan specifically tailored for the matter at hand.
Bradley (Brad) Waters represents clients in litigation with medium to high verdict exposure and high reputational or significant business impact. He serves companies in the oil and gas, energy, and petrochemical industries in a wide range of disputes and negotiations arising out of upstream and downstream operations, including complex commercial litigation, product liability, and catastrophic casualty matters. Brad advises on a broad range of contract and insurance disputes, and he identifies and applies relevant legal precedent both when drafting and negotiating agreements and assessing or enforcing critical contractual and insurance rights and remedies. He has also counseled on trade secret, toxic tort, commercial trucking, and maritime disputes, and represented general contractors and subcontractors in lien and collection matters. Brad has tried cases to verdict as first chair and second chair in both jury and non-jury trials.
“ I particularly enjoy when I can help clients prevent problems. They approach me with an issue they’ve had in the past and ask ‘How do we avoid it going forward?’ And we work together and find a way. ”
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2001
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.B.A., 1997
Areas of Practice
Brad has been named to Texas Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Civil Litigation Defense, Business Litigation 2006-2009, 2011-2015.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Defended oil and gas operator in $780 million trade secrets and royalty case in two-week jury trial in state district court in east Texas
- Tried several cases to verdict on behalf of refinery client for incidents involving burn injuries where multiple seven-figure damages were sought
- First Chair defense of a breach of contract dispute in unfavorable venue that was successfully resolved through arbitration and vindicated the client and several employees named in the suit
- Secured contractual defense and indemnity and additional insured coverage for refinery, drilling contractor, and other corporate clients in cases involving significant personal injuries, death, and environmental releases, saving clients millions of dollars in fees and expenses
- Negotiated a substantial settlement for offshore construction contractor in hotly contested insurance broker liability suit
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal of multi-million dollar suit alleging numerous intentional business tort claims against petroleum inspection company client in unfavorable venue
- Prosecuted and defended collection and lien suits for oilfield service and construction clients
- Investigated death and significant personal injury incidents at drilling rig sites, including participation in OSHA inspections and investigations
- Drafted and consulted on contracts, emphasizing favorable and predictable liability and risk mitigation strategies and dispute avoidance