My single greatest passion in the practice of law is learning about the in’s and out’s of my clients’ businesses so that we can collectively balance the legal with the practical, finding ways that my clients can be best protected and mitigate risk while also opening doors to growth and revenue production. Building a strong partnership bolstered by trust, understanding, and exceptional care and service is something I strive for in my practice every day and something that I feel brings true value to the clients I have the honor of representing.
Cassandra advises clients in a variety of industries on corporate matters. As a self-proclaimed “death and deals lawyer,” Cassandra focuses on counseling clients through transactions from start to finish, while also maintaining a unique niche practice in the often-complex realm of death law.
On the mergers and acquisitions front, Cassandra regularly advises clients in the sale and purchase of both assets and equity. She has handled transactions of all shapes and sizes, from smaller closely-held entities to massive $1 billion buy-outs.
In the real estate arena, Cassandra regularly represents clients in the sale and purchase of commercial, agricultural, and residential property as well as in the negotiation of complex commercial and agricultural leases. She also has extensive experience in bank finance and lending matters, representing financial institutions with the issuance of secured loans and credit facilities attached to real property collateral.
Cassandra provides day-to-day operational advice to business owners, negotiating contracts, assisting with entity formation and corporate governance matters, as well as corporate succession planning matters.
In the death space, Cassandra provides operational advice to financial institutions regarding which parties may take possession of deceased customers’ funds and other property and assists with the development of funeral home and cemetery property. She also has extensive experience in probate administration and estate and wealth planning.
Cassandra is a certified Guardian Ad Litem and Attorney Ad Litem, regularly accepting appointments to represent incapacitated adults in guardianship proceedings, unknown heirs in heirship proceedings, and minor children in personal injury proceedings. When she’s not practicing law, Cassandra dedicates herself to the community, including volunteering as staff of the Special Olympics of Texas. She is a member of the Christian Legal Society and also serves as Head Coach of the Saint Vincent de Paul Lady Tigers Softball team in Houston. Cassandra is a member of and an active participant in the LGBTQIA community and enjoys finding opportunities to get involved and give back in the Houston area and beyond. In her spare time, you may catch Cassandra enjoying live music or on any vessel surrounded by water, preferably with a fishing pole in hand, but always with her two furry companions, Tucker and Gill.
- South Texas College of Law, J.D., 2014
- Emory University, B.A., 2010
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
Areas of Practice
- Texas Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Estate and Probate 2020, 2022
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Certified Mediator, Texas
- Certified Guardian Ad Litem, Texas
- Certified Attorney Ad Litem, Texas
- Houston Bar Association, Special Olympics Committee
- Special Olympics of Texas
- Christian Legal Society
Research Assistant to Professor Josh Blackman for Unprecedented: The Constitutional Challenge to Obamacare, 2013
- Regularly represents a multinational industrial and manufacturing conglomerate on issues pertaining to the perfection and enforcement of liens and improvement of standard contracts in order to maximize opportunities for securing payment.
- Represented specialty retail chain company offering storage and organization products and custom closets with the negotiation of subcontract agreements against general contractors for the use of client’s proprietary closet product.
- Assisted with the establishment and development of a mobile app that provides a publication platform and delivers content to readers. Representation included the formation of associated entities, issuance of ownership interest in exchange for start-up services, negotiating vendor and supplier contracts, and launching of the platform to success.
- Serves as outside general counsel to a franchisor of a multi-location basketball-themed sports bar concept, preparing franchise documentation and assisting with various matters relating to vendor contracts, employment law, corporate governance, real estate, intellectual property, and litigation.
- Serves as outside general counsel to the owner of a multi-location golf simulator and restaurant and bar concept, assisting with various matters relating to vendor contracts, employment law, corporate governance, real estate, intellectual property, and litigation.
- Serves as outside general counsel to a franchisee of a multi-location trampoline park concept, preparing franchise documentation and assisting with various matters relating to vendor contracts, employment law, corporate governance, real estate, intellectual property, and litigation.
- Represented a Texas-based, ESOP-owned software system company in a $1 billion acquisition by a California-based private equity firm.
- Represented a Texas-based clinical research organization in an equity sale to a UK-based competitor.
- Represented the owner of an RV park and marina in its equity sale to a private equity firm.
- Represented the largest natural stone importer in the United States in three acquisitions.
- Represented a franchisee of an outsourced IT concept with three locations in Texas on each acquisition.
- Represents the largest funeral home and cemetery owner and operator in North America in acquisitions of real property for funeral home and cemetery use, as well as in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts and general corporate services needs.
- Represents a private equity firm in acquisitions of real property for restoration and establishment of conservation easements thereupon.
- Represents a multinational company providing pipeline services pertaining to the perfection and enforcement of liens.
- Represents a multitude of non-profit organizations as outside pro bono general counsel in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts as well as general corporate services needs.
- Represents American industrial service provider in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts as well as general corporate services needs.
- Represents several energy technology companies in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts as well as general corporate services needs.
- Represents one of the largest maintained and operated crane service providers in North America in the negotiation of vendor and supplier contracts as well as general corporate services needs.
- Represented American fast-food restaurant chain in work relating to the perfection and enforcement of UCC liens.
- Represented Japanese multinational electronics conglomerate with the negotiation of AIA contracts for two major renovation projects in Houston-based offices.
- Represented American fashion designer based in Austin, Texas in the negotiation of vendor booth contract for South by Southwest Conference and Festival.