I have a long history of partnering with my clients to attain high-quality, cost-effective solutions to their problems and issues. I assess cases early and thoroughly and manage them scrupulously. And, I’m always conscientious to maximize the efficiency of resources and technology.
The practice of litigation veteran Charlie Gay stretches back four decades. Emphasizing health care and pharmaceutical matters, he collaborates with clients on their products liability, major toxic tort and malpractice cases.
Charlie has defended several medical malpractice cases involving serious personal injury. Many of these matters revolved around severe conditions such as quadriplegia and brain damage.
Serving as lead counsel on hundreds of trials, Charlie has advocated for many publicly and privately held companies in several jurisdictions in Louisiana. Among his cases were complex suits such as class actions and multi joinders.
Charlie is a member of the American College of Trial Lawyers, The International Society of Barristers, the Louisiana State Bar Association and Louisiana Bar Foundation, among other groups. He has served in several leadership positions in professional organizations. Charlie lectures frequently on the topics of trial practice and personal injury litigation.
“ I have great admiration for Abraham Lincoln, a great lawyer, who could tenaciously litigate cases accompanied by superb advocacy, professionalism and occasional humor. I hope I’ve achieved that blend as well over the course of my career as I worked to successfully resolve clients’ conflicts and legal problems. ”
- Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, J.D., 1976
- Tulane University, B.S., 1973
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Louisiana State Bar Association Curtis R. Boisfontaine Trial Advocacy Award, 2014
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" – Product Liability Litigation Defendants, 2014
- Leadership in Law, New Orleans CityBusiness, 2013
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year – Medical Malpractice, 2011
- Best Lawyers® - Medical Malpractice Law - Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Louisiana Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Personal Injury - Products: Defense 2007-2019
- Super Lawyers Corporate Counsel Edition® (by Thomson Reuters) Personal Injury Defense: Products
- Best Lawyers® "Lawyer of the Year" in New Orleans – Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants, 2016
- New Orleans' Top Lawyers, New Orleans Magazine, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year in New Orleans - Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2020
- Best Lawyers® - Medical Malpractice - Defendants, Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- International Society of Barristers, Fellow
- LSBA Committee on Malpractice Insurance
- LSBA Medical/Legal Interprofessional Committee