I understand that while a piece of litigation may be my case, it is also my client’s life and livelihood. I pride myself on keeping the human aspect front and center in my practice.
John practices primarily in commercial litigation, with a focus on insurance defense litigation that includes professional liability claims in the healthcare and real estate industries.
He is an experienced trial and appellate attorney, representing health care companies, and particularly long-term care facilities, in medical malpractice and other liability matters. He has worked with numerous clients in creating and revising operational and risk management policies. In his insurance defense and professional liability practice, he is experienced in HIPAA, labor and employment matters, contract and waiver issues and regulatory compliance.
John earned his J.D. from the University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, where he was a member of the Law Review. He received his B.A. in political science and philosophy from University of Mississippi.
Before his legal career, John was a radio correspondent and editor for a national radio program. He also served as an infantry officer in the United States Army National Guard.
A Memphis native, John is an Eagle Scout in the Boy Scouts of America.
- University of Memphis Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, J.D., 2016
- University of Mississippi, B.A., 2011
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
Areas of Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- United States Army National Guard, former
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- Obtained successful dismissal of a lawsuit on behalf of a county-government chartered entity client utilizing Tennessee’s Anti-Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation (“Anti-SLAPP”) statute, successfully avoiding millions of dollars in exposure to the client and being awarded client’s attorneys’ fees.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a health care facility client related to an employee’s lawsuit under state and federal statutes alleging damages for wrongful termination related to the facility’s Covid-19 policies.
- Obtained favorable ruling from Tennessee Court of Appeals affirming the trial court’s dismissal of a plaintiff’s claim for wrongful death against a behavior health care provider for plaintiff’s failure to comply with statutory provisions of the Tennessee Health Care Liability Act.
- Obtained a favorable ruling from the Tennessee Court of Appeals affirming the statutory definition of a health care provider who is properly subject to pre-suit notice pursuant to the Tennessee Health Care Liability Act, and affirming dismissal of the lawsuit against the long term care facility client.
- Successfully negotiated a corporate member’s buy-out from a successful medical practice firm.
- Assisted regional health care provider in creation and implementation of proactive risk mitigation strategies, policies, and procedures including use of arbitration provisions to minimize liability exposure.
- The Insurance Policy – The Leverage You Need and the Associate Experience, Care Risk Retention Group & Future Care Risk Retention Group, November 2020
- Liability Risks in Healthcare: Top Ten Risks and Claims and Proactive Strategies, Michigan Society Healthcare Risk Management, November 2021