I help clients with creative, practical and cost-effective solutions, which might be legal, legislative or a well-placed phone call. I make it my business to know the regulators and others who can impact my client's business.
For more than 35 years, Ann Huckstep has advised companies on cutting-edge issues in health care, real estate and corporate law. Hospitals, medical service companies, physicians and other health care providers rely on her to provide substantive advice on regulatory compliance, certificate of need, accreditation, business transactions, labor matters, antitrust issues, governance issues, strategic planning and more. In her real estate work, companies rely on Ann’s negotiation skills, strategic planning assistance and her assistance with brokerage, leasing and property management activities. Ann’s corporate clients seek her experience for their strategic, financial and compensation planning.
- Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., 1978
- University of Mississippi, B.B.A., 1975
Areas of Practice
Ann has been listed in Best Lawyers® in Health Care Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities / Capital Markets Law, Securities Regulation since 2005 and also in Alabama and Mid-South Super Lawyers® (by Thomson Reuters) Health Care 2009-2017. In 2015, Ann was named as a BMetro Magazine "Lifetime Achiever" in the class of “Top Flight Lawyers.” She has been awarded such honors as Birmingham Business Journal's Businesswoman of the Year Award for 2007, and, also in 2007, the Birmingham Bar Association’s “Nina Miglionico: Paving the Way” Leadership Award, given annually to a lawyer who has achieved professional excellence, assisted women lawyers through mentoring, inspired women lawyers through role modeling and provided opportunities for the advancement of women lawyers. She was also named among the Birmingham Business Journal’s Top 10 Businesswomen for 2005.
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Alabama Hospital Association, Member
- Alabama State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association (Health and Business Sections), Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Birmingham Bar Association, Member
- YMCA of Birmingham - Former Chair, Board of Trustees
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute, Executive Committee
- Living in Limbo, Inc., Founder and Board Chair
- Serving as lead counsel for the largest hospital system in Alabama in the sale of its not-for-profit flagship hospital to a major, publicly traded hospital company. Ann then helped guide the hospital system through the tax-exempt, antitrust and regulatory issues in connection with a whole hospital joint venture between the two health care systems for the ultimate ownership and operation of the hospital.
- Assisting a real estate company in all aspects of the development, financing and leasing of the first new office building in downtown Birmingham in many years.
- Helping a publicly traded hospital company obtain an Alabama State Health Plan Adjustment for a new hospital in Madison, Alabama. This was a high-profile, hotly-contested case in a “certificate of need” state in which no new hospital adjustment had been approved in many years. It involved a legal battle to the Alabama Supreme Court and alternative strategic solutions, including corporate, real estate, regulatory, legislative and media.
- Reaching many “first female” milestones, including first female Partner at Lange, Simpson, Robinson & Somerville and first female member and later Chair of the Executive Committee of Lange Simpson, then a top 10 Alabama Law Firm.