I represent businesses and individuals in high stakes business and commercial disputes.
Matt Jackson is an experienced litigator who represents both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal trial and appellate courts in a wide range of complex litigation.
Matt’s commercial litigation practice focuses on business disputes involving business torts, trade secrets, restrictive covenants, fiduciary duties, shareholder disputes, corporate governance, and deceptive trade practices, as well as commercial disputes arising from complicated commercial transactions. Matt’s talents as a business litigator have led him to represent clients across a broad range of industries, including professionals such as physicians, accountants, and other attorneys.
Matt also has a robust construction practice. He regularly represents owners, contractors, subcontractors, design professionals, design firms, and suppliers in all aspects of construction disputes.
Matt also handles litigation involving wills, trusts, estates, conservatorships and guardianships; admiralty and maritime litigation involving vessel arrests and the enforcement of maritime liens; and competitive bid litigation and contests.
In addition to his litigation practice, Matt also regularly advises local and regional businesses on a wide variety of legal and strategical matters, including employment matters, and helps them with crisis management.
While in law school, Matt was a member of the Moot Court Board and was inducted into the Order of Barristers, which is a national honorary organization that recognizes law students for outstanding trial advocacy skills. In addition to competing and excelling in regional and national trial and appellate competitions, Matt also received the Merit Scholarship, was named to the Dean’s List, won American Jurisprudence awards, and won best brief awards in appellate competitions.
- Mississippi College School of Law, J.D., 2010, cum laude
- Huntingdon College, B.A., 2006
- Alabama Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Alabama
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida
- Tennessee Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
Consistent with the firm’s commitment to pro bono work, Matt donates a great deal of his time representing charitable organizations and individuals who cannot afford an attorney. He regularly provides pro bono assistance through the South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program, for which he has previously served on the Board of Directors, and the ABA Military Pro Bono Project.
Matt also serves on the Board of Directors for Bayshore Christian School and spends a significant amount of time volunteering through his church.
Areas of Practice
- Leadership Baldwin County, Class of 2016-2017
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- South Alabama Volunteer Lawyers Program, Board of Directors
- Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce, Young Professionals Councilmember
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Mobile
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Alabama Bar Association
- Baldwin County Bar Association, Civil Practice & Procedure Committee
- Mobile Bar Association
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Chattanooga Bar Association
- American Bar Association Military Pro Bono Project
- Federal Bar Association - Mobile Chapter
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Securing a seven-figure settlement for a minority shareholder in a case against the majority shareholder for minority shareholder oppression and other business torts
- Obtaining numerous judgments in complex commercial cases for clients in various different industries, including a substantial judgment for a Fortune 25 company in a case involving the sale of specialty pharmaceutical products without a written contract
- Successfully prosecuting claims against competitors and former employees for trade secret misappropriation, violation of restrictive covenants, breach of fiduciary duties, and other similar claims, and successfully defending businesses and individuals against such claims
- Obtaining dismissal of timber investment management organization in litigation involving long-term timber lease
- Obtaining defense verdicts in several cases against large telecommunications company, ranging from property damage to breach of contract
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of a large telecommunications company in case involving complex cell tower lease dispute
- Obtaining summary judgment on behalf of condominium association and winning on appeal in suit filed by two of its unit owners
- Obtaining dismissal of all claims against industrial and maritime response and remediation company in admiralty and maritime case arising from a plaintiff’s alleged toxic chemical exposure
- Winning on every issue at trial in disputed guardianship and conservatorship matter and having opponent’s prior power of attorney revoked
- Successfully defending banks, mortgage servicers, retirement investment companies and telecommunications companies in cases alleging fraud and other wrongdoing
- Successfully prosecuting commercial claims against vessel owners in admiralty and maritime cases, which often involve arresting vessels, and advising foreign attorneys regarding vessel arresting procedures in the United States
- Strategic Alternatives For and Against Distressed Businesses, Contributor, Thomson Reuters, 2015-2024 editions
- "Defang the Reptile: Understanding Plaintiffs' Use of the "Reptile Theory" and Strategies to Defeat the Attack," Adams and Reese webinar, 2022