Whether I’m helping a business secure a new storefront or handling financing for a new residential development or office building, I enjoy being a part of my clients’ teams and helping make dreams and plans a reality.
In his real estate-focused practice, Philip Sherman represents lenders and developers in a variety of transformative projects. He has worked on details including the acquisition, financing, development and leasing of all types of developments. Among the projects Philip has worked on are office buildings, apartments, condominiums, restaurants and hospitals.
Philip assists clients in land-use planning, including zoning, subdivisions and permitting, helping them overcome roadblocks and red tape to keep projects moving forward.
In addition to his real estate law experience, Philip brings broad general business and securities law experience to the table. Clients rely on Philip for his knowledge about starting a business to raising capital through private offerings. He enjoys working with a variety of businesses and helping them get established and grow.
Philip has worked to bring several notable sporting events to the Greater New Orleans area, representing local host committees in their negotiations to bring the 2017 NBA All-Star Game, 2022 NCAA Men’s Final Four and 2024 Super Bowl to the city.
In 2015, Philip was appointed by the Conference of Court of Appeal Judges to serve a four-year term as one of three attorney members on the Judiciary Commission of Louisiana. He currently serves as the chairman of the Judiciary Commission.
- Loyola Institute of Politics, 2007
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., 2006
- Southern Methodist University, B.A. in Business Administration, 2003
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers®- Real Estate Law
- Louisiana Super Lawyers “Rising Stars,” 2013–2019
- Top Lawyer in Real Estate in New Orleans Magazine, 2012–2017
- New Orleans City Business Leadership in Law, 2016
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Judiciary Commission of Louisiana, Chairman (2015 to date)
- Greater New Orleans Sports Foundation, Executive Committee Member (2009 to date), Chairman of the Board (2014–2015; 2019 to date)
- New Orleans Bowl, Inc., Board Member (2012 to date)
- New Orleans Super Bowl Host Committee, Board of Directors
- New Orleans NBA All-Star Host Committee, Board of Directors
- Start the Adventure in Reading (STAIR), Board Member (2011–2015)