As an attorney, I do my best in finding ways to “yes” to clients’ ideas, and create solutions that allow them to move forward to achieve their goals within the confines of the law.
Rob Pinson is a leading member of the Adams and Reese Alcohol and Hospitality practice, representing both local and national clients with their licensing and regulatory needs.
Working extensively with distilleries, breweries and wineries on licensing matters, Rob helps his hospitality clients navigate through the complex approvals for manufacturing, self-distribution and other compliance issues at all levels. He provides counsel to alcoholic beverage manufacturers and retailers in transactional matters in which licensing issues play a critical role.
Rob assists businesses across the country with applying for and obtaining initial licensing, maintaining all necessary permits and licenses, and handling on-going regulatory obligations, such as formula and label submissions.
Rob also has a hand on the local entertainment scene, having obtained beer and liquor licenses for nearly all the Tennessee locations of the world’s largest movie theatre chain as well as numerous music venues. His work in these matters included amending city laws to allow such licenses.
Rob helped form and is an associate member of the Tennessee Distillers’ Guild, an organization that works to promote, grow and advocate for the distilling industry in Tennessee. He assists the Guild in planning for and obtaining the licensing for numerous annual whiskey festivals across the state, including coordinating with city officials and other involved businesses. Additionally, he assisted in the formation and development of the new Tennessee Whiskey Trail, a group of approximately 25 distilleries working to promote the whiskey tourism industry in the state.
As a faculty member of Moonshine University, he frequently teaches and presents on topics related to licensing and regulatory compliance for distilleries across the country.
In addition to his alcohol beverage law practice, Rob holds an LL.M. in tax law and uses his tax expertise to assist clients in navigating one of the world’s most heavily taxed industries.
Rob is frequently invited by organizations and associations to speak on legal topics covering the alcoholic beverage and hospitality industries.
- University of Florida Levin College of Law, LL.M., 2005, Taxation
- University of Tennessee College of Law, J.D., 2003
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Tennessee Distillers Guild
- Tennessee Whiskey Trail
- Moonshine University
- YMCA Center for Civic Engagement
Areas of Practice
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Assisted the Tennessee Distillers’ Guild in planning and obtaining the licensing for annual festivals in all parts of the state.
- Assisted with the complex licensing of several distillery/brewery combinations in the state.
- Negotiated and obtained the licensing of distilling outside for the first time in Tennessee for a TV show.
- Drafted numerous pieces of legislation to further the alcohol industry as a whole and allow businesses in Tennessee to innovate and enhance the customer experience.
- Obtained beer permits and liquor licenses for nearly all the Tennessee locations of the world’s largest movie theatre chain.
- Worked with clients across the state, in major cities and in small towns, to obtain beer permits and liquor licenses.