My substantial experience representing construction industry clients, creditors and other businesses means I’m able to work effectively both in and out of the courtroom to help resolve disputes and issues to their maximum advantage.
In the construction arena, Ryan Owen advises and advocates for specialty and general contractors, owners, materials suppliers and equipment rental companies. Ryan helps clients transfer risk to insurers and other contractors/suppliers and frequently represents contractors who have not received payment for their services. He also handles defect litigation and related surety and insurance matters.
Outside of the construction field, Ryan counsels clients in commercial and real estate litigation related to issues such as contract disputes, employment agreement and non-compete disputes, landlord/tenant conflicts, title insurance matters, corporate partnership disputes, and claims related to Florida’s Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act. He also advises clients in easement and property line disputes, as well as in condominium disputes and appeals.
Representing his clients in all phases of the litigation process, Ryan analyzes claims, deposes key witnesses, shepherds discovery, drafts motions and other court-required documentation, completes pre-trial preparations and takes an assertive and strategic approach at trial. In addition, he helps clients navigate through the mediation and arbitration processes. Ryan also represents clients in litigation regarding credit collection practices, including alleged violations of the TCPA, FDCPA and bankruptcy stays.
On the transaction side of his practice, Ryan drafts construction contracts and works on creditor’s rights matters, including complex commercial loan workouts and collections for regional and national banks. He also advises clients on the benefits and consequences of prejudgment writs of garnishment and prejudgment writs of attachment, often obtaining injunctions against fraudulent transfers and other extraordinary relief.
Ryan is a graduate of Leadership Sarasota, a Chamber of Commerce program completed by many of the city's top business leaders. He ranks among the Florida Super Lawyers Rising Stars in General Litigation, Business Litigation and Construction Litigation.
“ There is nothing more rewarding than having a client who is better off as a result of our work, not only because they have obtained real beneficial results, but also because they have been treated well throughout the legal process. ”
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 2006
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 2002
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Florida Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) General Litigation, Business Litigation, Construction Litigation 2010-2019
- Leadership Sarasota County, Class of 2014-2015
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Sarasota County Bar Association, Former Director - Young Lawyers Division
- Sarasota County Bar Association Appellate Section, Chair
- Sarasota Association of Realtors/Sarasota County Bar Association Realtor/Attorney Joint Committee, Former Chair
- Gulf Coast Builders Exchange
- Risk Management Association
- Changing Your Construction Contracts for COVID-19, Gulf Coast Builders and Xchange, August 18, 2020