I am always honest and forthright with my clients. As a result of my experience representing individuals and companies in business-related matters, I believe I can educate them on the issues they may face, both good and bad. I can evaluate the business aspects of each case thoroughly and make a rational determination of a reasonable outcome. The client is then able to make an informed decision on the most expedient approach to take.
Tom Dart focuses on business law, including construction-related matters. He advises large and small companies, including physician groups and other healthcare-related entities, accounting firms and a variety of other businesses in litigation issues. He also represents financial institutions in commercial loan workouts, loan restructurings
With 40 years of experience litigating cases and addressing business-related problems, Tom has gained the acumen to help companies and institutions facing a host of issues and conflicts. When he has the luxury of being there for a client before a suit is filed, he evaluates the risks presented and then plots a course of risk management that’s most effective and expedient for the client’s needs.
Drawing on his broad knowledge base, Tom steers clients through the intricate web of issues that arise in complex, multi-party commercial cases
“ As attorneys, we are required not to only be an advocate for our client in litigation matters, but also to be counselors whose job it is to avoid and solve disputes. We must continue to balance the demands of the profession and the expectations of our clients, while honoring our duty to uphold the law. ”
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 1977
- University of Florida, B.A., 1973
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- AV® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbel
- Best Lawyers® - Litigation - Construction, Litigation - Real Estate
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Real Estate, 2016
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Construction, 2017
- Best Lawyers® Lawyer of the Year, Litigation - Real Estate, 2018
- Benchmark Litigation® – Local Litigation Star (Florida)
- 2017 Starfish Award - The Florida Center for Early Childhood Board of Directors
- Florida Super Lawyers® - Business Litigation
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Florida Center for Child and Family Development, Former Chairman
- Gulf Coast Legal Services, Inc., Former Chairman
- Grievance Committee of the Florida Twelfth Judicial Circuit, Former Chairman
- Judicial Evaluation Committee of the Florida Bar, Past Vice-Chair
- Sarasota County Bar Association, Former President
- Manatee Chamber of Commerce
- Second District Court of Appeal, Judicial Nominating Commission
- The Florida Bar Trial Lawyers Section, Executive Council
- The Argus Foundation, Board of Directors
- Numerous complex commercial cases involving multiple parties, and dealing with novel issues of liability.
- Representation of a number of financial institutions in multi-million dollar loan restructures and complex foreclosure matters.
- Representation of a large cardiology practice in Sarasota, Manatee and Charlotte Counties, as well as a large multi-specialty physicians practice group in Sarasota and Manatee Counties.
- Representation of a major tobacco company in product liability defense cases.