Navigating the business of insurance can be quite challenging, whether it is a complicated regulatory matter or a sticky coverage issue. I thrive on helping my clients navigate these potentially choppy waters to find practical solutions to their problems.
William D. ‘Bill’ Shea advises clients on a host of insurance regulatory matters throughout the Southeast, as well as both commercial litigation and insurance litigation throughout Louisiana. In his insurance regulatory practice, Bill advises both insurers and insurance producers. He has successfully obtained Certificates of Authority for insurers seeking to do business in Louisiana, as well as other states. He also has assisted insurance companies with other matters involving licensing and compliance, preparing contracts between insurance companies, marketing entities, claims organizations and agents, as well as responding to consumer complaints and giving guidance on market conduct matters. Bill also routinely handles disputes between regulated entities and the Louisiana Department of Insurance, including administrative litigation with the Division of Administrative Law, encompassing matters involving Cease & Desist Orders, license revocations, fines, and the issuance of Directives, Bulletins, and other regulatory communications from the Department of Insurance.
Additionally, Bill has assisted individual insurance producers and agencies with a wide variety of issues including licensing, compliance, contract disputes, responding to formal complaints filed with the Louisiana Department of Insurance and preparing employment agreements between agencies and individual agents.
In his litigation practice, Bill has represented clients in matters involving breach of contract, lease disputes, mortgage foreclosures, breach of fiduciary duty and fraud, and in matters involving claims for impairment of contracts based on constitutional issues. He has successfully defended insurance agents and agencies in matters involving errors and omissions, including claims for failure to procure. He also represents insurers in matters including insurance coverage disputes, claims for bad faith, property insurance claims and claims for personal injury.
Bill has successfully prosecuted matters involving breaches of obligations under unfair trade and trade secret laws. He has also defended oil and gas companies in matters involving imprudent operations and claims for damage to mineral reservoirs, and has represented banking clients in matters involving garnishments, breach of warranty and conversion.
- Southern University Law Center, J.D., 2004
- Southeastern Louisiana University, B.A., 1991
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
Bill is active in the community and serves on the Board of Directors for the Baton Rouge Area Chamber (BRAC) and previously served as BRAC’s general counsel. He also currently serves on the Board of Directors of Louisiana Appleseed. Bill previously served on the Board of Directors of the Baton Rouge Symphony and the Country Club of Louisiana. He is a member of Most Blessed Sacrament Church.
Areas of Practice
- Chambers USA - Recognized Practitioner in Insurance: Louisiana, 2022
- Louisiana Rising Stars® (by Thomson Reuters) Business Litigation 2012-2014
- Leadership Louisiana, Class of 2015
- Best Lawyers® - Insurance Law
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Baton Rouge Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Country Club of Louisiana, Board of Directors
- Louisiana Appleseed, Board of Directors
- In the matter of Velocity Risk Underwriters, LLC, 2022-1574-INS, Re: Directive 219, Louisiana Division of Administrative Law, August, 24, 2022.
- Thibodeaux v. J M Drilling, L.L.C., 21-30543, 2022 WL 3149210, (5th Cir. Aug. 8, 2022), rehearing denied.
- In the matter of State Farm Fire and Casualty Company and Dover Bay Specialty Insurance Company, 2021-6585-INS, Re: Directive 218, Louisiana Division of Administrative Law, July 8, 2022.
- Bernhard MCC, LLC v. Zeringue, 19-529 (La. App. 5 Cir. 9/9/20), 303 So. 3d 372, writ denied, 2020-01172 (La. 12/8/20), 306 So. 3d 434.
- Taxicab Ins. Store, LLC. v. Am. Serv. Ins. Co., Inc., 2017-0004 (La. App. 4 Cir. 7/12/17), 224 So.3d 451.
- Hayes Fund for the First United Methodist Church of Welsh, LLC, et al. v. Kerr-McGee Rocky Mountain, LLC, et al.,2014-C-2592 (La. 12/8/2015), 193 So.3d 1110.
- Morris v. The Bulldog BR, LLC, et al.,2013-1861 (La. App. 1 Cir. 6/6/2014), 147 So.3d 1122, writ denied, 2014-C-1453 (La. 10/10/2014), 151 So.3d 585.
- John Paul Sapir, LLC v. YUM! Brands, Inc., et al.,2012-0824 (La. App. 4 Cir. 12/5/2012), 106 So.3d 646, writ denied, 2013-C-0043 (La. 2/22/2013), 108 So.3d 775.
- Jay Dykes, Jr., et al. v. Maverick Motion Picture Group, LLC, et al.,(2011 WL 900276 (M.D. La. 2011).
- United Healthcare Insurance Co., et al., v. Davis, et al.602 F.3d 618 (5th Cir. 2010).
- Bunge North America, Inc. v. The Board of Commerce & Industry, et al.,2007-1746, 1747, (La. App. 1 Cir. 5/2/2008), 991 So.2d 511.