I enjoy solving complex problems to allow others to achieve their goals. The practice of law is the most satisfying when both the law and policy intersect to produce a compelling and successful argument for a client, leading to positive outcomes.
William “Billy” Wright provides counsel to large commercial liability insurers and their insureds in a variety of both complex and other matters. He additionally represents Louisiana’s largest, private healthcare provider and its employees in professional negligence matters.
Billy counsels clients at each level of Louisiana’s state and federal court system. He has obtained early-case dismissals for numerous physicians and other medical professionals and also secured a favorable outcome for a New Orleans apartment complex in a matter involving a shooting on the premises, where the plaintiff sought significant damages and future medical expenses.
Billy’s educational background in business management and political communication informs his interactions with both commercial clients and governmental entities. Previously, Billy interned for both the Hon. Kurt D. Engelhardt in the US District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana and in the Litigation Department for the New Orleans City Attorney.
- Class Dismissed? The Potential Unavailability of Class Actions Under Louisiana Mineral Code Article 137 in Louisiana Federal Courts, 3 LSU J. OF ENERGY L. & RESOURCES 565 (2015).
- It’s Not the Size of the Reactor But the Strength of the Reaction: Can Lockheed Martin’s Small-Scale Fusion Reactor Concept Change the Planet’s Energy Future?, LSU J. ENERGY L. & RES. CURRENTS (November 4, 2014), http://sites.law.lsu.edu/jelrblog/?p=500.
“ In my legal career, I constantly draw on the example set by my father, who instilled in me the value of taking pride in my work and in my interactions with others. He taught me that the formula to professional and personal success is integrity, the passion to succeed and do the job right, and being enjoyable to work with. ”
- Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center, J.D., 2015
- Louisiana State University, B.S., 2012
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court for the Western District of Louisiana
Active in community service, Billy devotes time to the New Orleans Pro Bono Project, including taking cases on a pro bono basis and volunteering at the Civil District Court’s pro se litigant help desk. In recognition of these efforts, in 2018, Billy received the Firm’s CA&RE Lawyer of the Year, which recognizes commitment to the Firm’s pro bono program.
Areas of Practice
- Loyola Institute of Politics, Fellow 2017-2018
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- New Orleans Area Alumni Association of Pi Kappa Alpha, President
- New Orleans Pro Bono Project, Volunteer Attorney
- Fr. Harry Thompson Center, Volunteer Legal Counsel
- Served as a Senior Editor on the LSU Journal of Energy Law & Resources, which published his comment in its Spring 2015 issue.
- Served as an active member in the Student Bar Association and served as president of the Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity.
- Named to LSU Law’s Trial Advocacy Board, which recognizes commitment to trial advocacy and success in trial competitions.