I take tremendous pride as both a risk manager and litigation attorney who takes the necessary time to understand clients’ overall business position, direction, and particular legal representation that evolves throughout our attorney-client relationship. From taking preventative measures, to evaluating risks and settlement value, and to aggressively defending clients in times of litigation, it is critical and also efficient to balance and determine the legal needs that warrant which approach best serves the clients’ needs.
Chantal Pillay serves as the Partner in Charge of the Adams and Reese Tampa office, while maintaining a diverse legal practice on a wide array of banking, financial services, civil and commercial litigation matters.
Chantal has been recognized by her peers and clients for four consecutive years (2021-2024) among the Best Lawyers® Ones to Watch in Litigation – Banking and Finance, and among the 2023 Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars in Civil Litigation Defense.
Throughout her legal career, Chantal has lived in Jacksonville, South Florida, and currently in Tampa, which has benefited her in her practice and familiarity with various local rules and jurisdictions across the state of Florida.
Chantal advocates for national and regional banking institutions, lenders, and servicers on issues related to the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA), Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act (FDUTPA), and Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), as well as various state and federal claims.
Chantal has represented lenders and servicers in contested foreclosure actions (residential and commercial) and in suits on commercial notes and guarantees (individual and business). Chantal also represents corporations in shareholder disputes, corporate governance matters, contested foreclosures, real estate litigation, adversary bankruptcy proceedings, and other various contractual disputes.
She has also represented banks and certified development companies in matters concerning SBA rules and regulations.
Within the commercial lending aspect of her practice, Chantal has structured and prepared commercial loan documents for financial services clients.
- Florida Coastal School of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
- Florida State University, B.A., 2009, Political Science and International Affairs, cum laude; Certification in Advanced Legal Research, Writing and Drafting
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida
Areas of Practice
- Best Lawyers® Ones To Watch - Litigation - Banking and Finance, 2021-2024
- Florida Super Lawyers® Rising Stars - Civil Litigation Defense, 2023
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
- South Asian Bar Association of Florida, Director
- Hillsborough County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Representation of lenders and servicers in contested foreclosure actions, including foreclosure of real property, an airplane, a liquor license and business assets under Florida Uniform Commercial Code; and successfully defended against an Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA) defense raised in a commercial foreclosure action.
- Representation of a real estate investor entity in business dispute for breach of an operating agreement, breach of guaranty and breach of fiduciary duties.
- Representation of a property owner in a partition action.
- Representation of a client in defense of an action for unjust enrichment and trespass concerning a property border dispute.
- Representation of a medical sales representative in a contract dispute to enforce the contract for the term of the agreement (4 more years) and successfully prevented the issuance of an injunction to specifically enforce the agreement.
- Representation of landlord in landlord-tenant litigation, including actions for unpaid rent, accelerated rent and for possession of the property.
- Handled post-judgment collections for multimillion dollar loans for a large, nationally-recognized bank, including deficiency actions, garnishments, post-judgment depositions and high-dollar settlements.