I work with clients on a range of business and legal issues, including structured finance, commercial real estate, mergers and acquisitions. In each of these areas, I get to leverage my strengths to help clients move their businesses forward.
David Stewart advises business clients in company formations, organizations, and restructurings, joint venture agreements, business acquisitions and divestures, and negotiating and structuring a variety of general business matters and corporate transactions.
David helps both lenders and borrowers reach their funding goals, including credit facilities, term loans and structured finance. He also guides clients in the purchase and sale of commercial real estate, development and management agreements, commercial leasing and the procurement of real estate financing.
David works with forestry and mitigation banking clients in a wide variety of resource transactions, including solar energy leases, mitigation bank purchases and sales, and agreements pertaining to mitigation bank sponsorship, ownership, development services and credit sales.
- Represented real estate investors and developers in debt and equity raises totaling more than $500 million and related acquisitions of multifamily complexes in Georgia, Florida and Texas.
- Represented the seller in a divestiture of a portfolio of garden-style apartments in metro Atlanta for a cumulative sales price of nearly $110 million.
- Represented the lender in multiple permanent, construction and asset-based loans in Georgia and throughout the Southeast.
- Assisted an international hotel developer and hospitality manager in the merger with a regional hospitality management group.
- Represented a private equity firm in the acquisition of 16 mitigation banks in Louisiana and Texas.
- Assisted the sponsor in structuring performance-based contracts for wetland creation, mitigation or enhancement of large permittee-responsible mitigation projects in Texas.
- Represented the purchaser in the acquisition of an industrial real property and warehouse portfolio valued at nearly $775 million.
- Emory University School of Law, J.D., 2015
- Clemson University, B.A., 2010, History
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
Areas of Practice
Best Lawyers® Ones To Watch - Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2022
Professional Affiliations & Memberships
In the legal community, David is actively involved in the State Bar of Georgia and the Atlanta Bar Association. He is a member and active participant in the Association of Young Real Estate Professionals (AYREP Atlanta) and the Atlanta Clemson Club.
- How to Value Compliance Programs, Internal Investigations, Daily Report, December 2016, Co-Author
- Creating Value in FCPA Investigations Through Increasing Cooperation Credit, FCPA Report, January 2016, Co-Author